Search

Goa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goa

Do people go there for the beaches, site-seeing or both? Is that just the main destination/airport and the fun beach areas are a drive away? I know I can read up on this, but it's much more fun and informative asking this board.
thnx
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Goa is a state which runs from north to south along the coast and so you are never very far from a beach. Many of the beaches are of the "to die for" variety with lovely sand, palm trees , warm water and beach shacks selling good food.Most of the hotels are on or very close to a beach.
The historical and cultural aspects of Goa go hand in hand with the beach For example, unless you do not leave your hotel, you will travel through very beautiful countryside, eat in varied restaurants in all sorts of buildings, be charmed by the people, horrified at the poverty ,visit Catholic and Hindu temples and churches, pass elephants on the way to market and see monkeys on the rooftops.It has a famous rave scene and a number of hangovers from its hippy days. The architecture in Panjim is very interesting but filthy- mainly because of the effect of the humidity on concrete.
I've been many times and it is one of very few places that I will return to.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM

I'd say people go there either for the ambience (as opposed to the sights) or the beaches. The best beaches are in South Goa removed from the laidback ambience and party spirit of the North. I love North Goa - the people in Goa are chilled out, you can rent a two wheeler and travel around, great restaurants. If you have the time combine both!
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:02 PM

As someone who grew up in Goa, I wouldn't write "horrified by poverty" when speaking about the place. This is not my being defensive. It can be objectively verified that vis-a-vis the rest of the country, Goa is among the better-off places.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Also - the "architecture" (if one can be bold enough to call it that) in Panjim is third-rate and ugly. That is because the earlier sloping roof-tiled quaint houses lining its streets gave way to the concrete blocks in the 1980s. Pre-1980, Panjim was a beauuuutiful city. Then the builders stepped in and ruined it.