Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which hotel - Singapore and Kuala Lumpur?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Singapore choices - Stamford, Merchant Court, Sheraton Towers, Marriott

Kuala Lumpur choices - Renaissance, Concorde, Mandarin Oriental

Please comments on nearness to restaurants, availability of public transport, rooms and amenities of hotels

Any other hotel suggestions are also welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:38 AM

Ritz Carlton...Club level...Kuala Lumpur...who could ask for anything more. Plus it's in walking distance of the main drag,Bukit Bintang(?) but not located on it and walking distance to the Malaysian handicrafts center. Happy travels!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Oh, as for Singapore...stay near an MRT station(subway). The Hotel Rendevous is in a great location...right at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station.My best friend loves the Rendevous. It's a 3 or 4 star big place. I personally stay at the YMCA International House Hotel- 1 Orchard Road... right across the street...which I love...a very lively place run like a hotel. Private rooms with bathroom and breakfast included for S$75.00 Singapore dollars. They also have a pool. In the outside courtyard at the Rendevous, there is a public 24-hr internet center that is VERY inexpensive. When you go to the MRT station, buy a MRT pass...about S$20.00. Before you leave Singapore, take the pass back to the station and explain that you are leaving and you will be refunded the unused portion of your pass. What could be better than that? It's a win-win situation. Happy travels!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:42 AM

any info on the Shangri-la hotel?
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM

The Sheraton & Marriott are comprable hotels. I have stayed at both and at the Ritz Carlton & Pan Pacific. The Sheraton is about a 5 minute walk from an MRT station and another 5 minute walk to the Newton Circus food court. You can walk from the Sheraton to the Marriott in less than 30 minutes on Scott's Road. The Marriott is on Orchard Road and the MRT station is directly in front of the hotel. There are many more restaurants and shops just outside the Marriott. If I was going back now I would stay at whichever was cheapest. The reason I stayed at the Ritz once was because it was actually cheaper than the Marriott at the time. The Ritz is definitely superior to the others and especially nice if you get a room with a marina view. It has many shops & restaurants adjacent to it and is very close to Suntec City.

I was unimpressed with the Ritz Carlton in Kuala Lumpur. Try the JW Marriott right around the corner. I'll be there in September. If you end up in the Renaissance be careful as to which wing you get. I've heard that one of them is really worn. I belive the Concorde (next to Hard Rock Cafe) offers a one-way limo service to or from the airport.

Dave