Which hotel in KL?

Feb 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Which hotel in KL?

Need some final inputs regarding hotelchoice in Kuala Lumpur. We have a hard time to decide between Mandarin Oriental and The new Hilton located in KL central. The new Hilton looks smashing, but not sure about the location, never been to KL before, si KL central far away from the city center with shopping and restaurants etc?. The Oriental seems to have a very good location. Please help. We will be staying in KL for 3 nights in July.
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:41 AM

The Mandarin Oriental is the better location as it is right next to the Twin Towers and the KLCC shopping mall. It's also right smack in the city centre.

The new Hilton KL Sentral is located at the transportation hub where trains, KLIA express, light rails etc. meet. This location is slightly away from the KL city centre but is convenient for those taking the KLIA (airport) express.
Mar 1st, 2005, 08:32 AM

For shopping, sightseeing and nightlife I think the MO is the better pick of the two. My own personal favourite is the Shangri La, about 5 mins walk from the MO. Nevertheless the MO is a fine hotel. Other well located 5* hotels are The Regent, The Ritz Carlton, JW Mariott, and Renaissance Hotel (Renaissance wing)
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM

Hi there! I consider myself an expert on KL since I spent 18 years there! MO would be my 1st choice, KL Hilton & Renaissance = NO!! Sheraton KL is another really nice hotel in KL but the location is not the best (you need to take a 5 min cab ride to night spots) My other recommendation would be Prince Hotel & Residence (across the st from JW Marriot).
Mar 1st, 2005, 04:05 PM

My choice of a hotel in KL is Hotel Istana. I found Mandarin Oriental a bit bland, a kind of hotel you can find anywhere in the world. Istana is very Malaysian, I think, is located in Golden Triangle (close to shopping malls, restaurants, hawker street, bars, etc.) I'm actually going back there soon for the 4th time!
Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:14 AM

I stayed at the Istana about 6 years ago and would agree that it is very Malaysian, BUT unless it has recently had a refurb I would avoid - 6 years ago it was very worn around the edges (very worn carpet, chipped furniture and something I have NEVER seen in a 4 or 5* hotel - a swear word scrawled noticeably large on the inside of one of the elevator doors (there for at least 4 days))