which hotel in delhi

Search

which hotel in delhi

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which hotel in delhi

My wife and I will be spendind three days in new delhi in nov. We would like this to be a special experience so have picked out a couple of nice hotels. We've narrowed it down to the Meridian and Ambassador, both costly but OK this time around.

Anyone have any experience with either. Thanks
John
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 01:17 PM

hello there! Namaste!

Greetings from a American woman who lives in Delhi! Yes, I very familiar with both hotels u shortlist, an for that matter, all Delhi hotels.

They are two very differnt type of properties.

Meridian is a large hotel on the cusp of the tourist area/commercial area of the city. This hotel is near Connaught Place. Hotel has recently been renovated, so it is better than it used to be..That said, it has never been one of my faves in Town, but location is excellent, and has all the range of high end-facilities, many resturants, shops, etc, etc..Some love it, others do not. It does have a superb downtown location and rooms getting better..

The Ambassador, a small, quiet, low-key, low- rise hotel, a bit of Raj-era charm-located in a lovely green area of Central Delhi, Sujan Singh Park. The hotel is near Lodhi gardens too for a stroll and Khan market for a shopping area.

They are very different type of hotels altogether..Really depends on your style, what u like, are after..

Do note, november is right around the corner so many hotels are already heavily booked, so in the end might not even have a choice..

Also, there are many more hotels in Delhi, and if u are looking for central and can go up a few notches in price, so u can take a look at the Taj Mahal/Mansingh road, or the IMperial and the Shangri-la..

Anyways, feel free to drop me a line. I can certainly help u with anything in Delhi, *actually all of India for that matter. [email protected]

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM

i was there last november and stayed at the nikko....decently central and a very nice hotel, but without all the glitz of the big names...
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM

If it is really a choice between just those two, I would take the Meridien, as I think you will get a lot more out of that location as a tourist. You can walk to a number of things, like the Raj Path area (Houses of Parliament, Raj Gate, etc) and the Connaught Circus area in the other direction, which includes passing by the wonderful Central Cottage Industries Emporium for great bargain in shopping.

I like Khan Market a lot (esp for books), but think that the area around the Meridien is better for tourists. (Both are safe, I would not have any concerns on that point.) As Bonita has mentioned, if you can afford it, IMO the Imperial, also in that nationhood, is really the finest hotel. Do stop there for a meal or tea in their courtyard and a look around this colonial gem. http://www.theimperialindia.com. I am also a very big fan of the Oberoi, although the location is not as convenient, but if you get a deal there, IMO that would be a much superior choice over the two on your list, you might look into it. It would be a very memorable holday at the Oberoi, IMO. They often offer packages which include things like airport transfers and breakfast, which all in make it attractive. As you can hire a car and driver for about $15 a day, so the location of the Oberoi can be overcome, it's just that you cannt walk to things from there as you could from the Meridien.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 08:10 PM

I would not recommend either the Meridien or the Ambassador (but if you are firm on these two, then go to Meridien). For that kind of money - perhaps a little more - you have better choices in Delhi. As Cicerone says, the Oberoi is very, very good. Also consider The Imperial.

Old Sep 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM

The Imperial has gotten outrageously expensive recently...I feel lucky to have gotten a room at $600 a night there next month. On the website, those same nights are now $1000US!

Of course even the Radisson is $425 a night....

I've had dinner at the Ambassador. Was not impressed. Have not been in the Meridien, but the location is much better IMHO.