Where to visit in Bangkok?

Jul 29th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Where to visit in Bangkok?

I will be going bangkok on thursday. Which places is a must to visit? Where got sell great foods,especially big tiger prawns. Where to shop and where to eat? I will be staying at Eastin Hotel.
Thank you
Jul 29th, 2003, 01:51 AM

Hi

A very general question What to see depends on what you are into and how long you are staying. I think Bangkok is a great city...full of contrasts. Grand Palace is a must of course...it is crowded but it is beautiful. Wat Arun is also pretty nice and it gives you a chance to take a boat on the river There are endless possibilities when it comes to shopping...in the Siam Square area you will find MBK, World Trade Center etc so you can walk around all day if you want to. My wife and I have been to Thailand twice on vacation...I have posted a couple of trip reports with pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Have a great trip

Regards
gard
Stavanger, Norway
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:39 AM

I must agree with Gard that you should shop at MBK (Mah-bon-krong) shopping center. It is located at the last stop on the sky train route that starts at the river. The last stop is called National Stadium. MBK Center is right down the steps! Couldn't be handier!
Across the street from there is Siam Discovery and Siam Center shopping malls. Just a walk down the street is the World Trade Center, Gaysorn Plaza, and the "Central" Chidlom department store (a very nice department store).
The food is good at many many places. The best prawns I've had were in Chiang Mai, but I'm sure BKK also has great restaurants for these. The restaurants at Peninsula and Oriental Hotels have excellent food, both Thai and international items. You can get good food also at the shopping centers. Try the top floor at MBK where they have a food court unlike any other! Also, the 4th floor at Tokyu department store at MBK has interesting things to eat.
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:16 AM

the grand palace is always #1 to see, also wat arun just across the river and a couple of other wats....river city shopping center on the river is good for high quality items for shopping...harmonique restaurant on soi 34, new road near the river city and oriental hotel is great for moderate priced thai food in a great location....upscale for lunch is lord jim at the oriental hotel can't be beat...
Jul 29th, 2003, 08:36 PM

Can't believe no one mentioned Wat Pho! I would go there before Wat Arun -- much more to see.