Bangkok, Thailand

Oct 17th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Bangkok, Thailand

This is my second trip to Bangkok. I have already gone to the Palace, Wats and so forth. What about the floating market? Which one is the good one to go to. I thought there were a couple to choose from. I would like to do some antique shopping. Any suggestions. What about the night market? We are staying at the Conrad Hotel. Any suggestions on restraunts? Thanks for any advise or suggestions in advance.
Oct 18th, 2004, 04:31 PM

The Night Market at Suan Lum fairly close to the Conrad - maybe a 15 minute walk - is great. Reach around 7 and plan to be there until about 10. Great experience and good shopping. The flower market is worth going to. Restaurants near you - in hotels - the Four Seasons has an amazing repertoire, Thai at the Grand Hyatt is good, dim sum both at the Conrad and at the Raffles property, non hotel - Vietnamese at Thang Long on Soi Lungsuan, Italian at Calderazzo agaon on Soi Lungsuan, the food court and Greyhound Cafe at Central Chitlom. Antique shopping - River City tho not sure unless you are an expert if you can tell if they are really antiques but good stuff in general albeit expensive, then go to the Oriental for tea outdoors by the river or for a meal.
Oct 18th, 2004, 08:24 PM

make sure you have the dim sum lunch at the conrad on the 3rd floor---eat from a menu..all you can eat...fixed price....better than excellent...

biscotti in the four seasons hotel...not far from conrad...excellent italian cooked by a germanic chef..
harmonique near the post office on new road near the oriental and sheraton hotels on the river.. thai

best ambience and food--thai--baan khanitha on soi 23, sukhumvit rd....not the one across the street from the conrad which we did not like...

crepes and co---soi 12 sukhumvit rd--serving 3 meals daily

gallery gourmet...off soi 39 sukhumvit rd...continental...good steaks...

the floating market that you want to visit is about 1 1/2 hours south of bkk...hire a car to take you...have you thought about ratt who is frequently listed on this board...we did a 13 hour day with her that incl the market and river kwai and some other stops...cost about $100 US with sizable tip....

have you taken a 2-3 hour klong tour via long tail boat through thornburi?? it is very enjoyable and lets you see a different side of bkk...boats can be rented at river city pier or at taskim pier...

lots of restaurants around the conrad by the way...great location and very nice hotel...
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:10 AM

Go see the Calypso Cabaret in the Asia Hotel (next to a sky train station). We saw the show in April when we were there. It was fabulous- you will not regret it! (Its ladyboys and its great entertainment- very classy- check their website)
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions! I love this forum and value the input. I went to Italy last year and received so much great input before that trip.
Oct 19th, 2004, 11:02 AM

Go see the flower market in the early morning. Piles of blossoms and amazing arrangements. If you have a few days, pop down to Hua Hin for a brief beach episode. We stayed at the Sofitel and found it to be very relaxing. I second Bob's suggestion about the Khlong tour. It's great.