Bangkok for one day

Search

Bangkok for one day

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bangkok for one day

We are going to be in Bangkok on business, but, will have one day and evening on our own. Any suggestions for the best thing to see and the best restaurant for dinner.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM

If your free day is a weekday, then definitely head for the Grand Palace. I much prefer to get there by boat. If you're staying away from the river, take the skytrain to Taksin Bridge station and hop on the river taxi. Get off at Chang pier, walk straight out of the pier and follow the big white wall until you come to the main entrance. Go early in the morning and don't be put off by people who say it's closed or you need a guide.

The reason for going on a weekday is that the throne rooms are open then. You can still go on a weekend, but you'll see less.

You can take the boat back. One stop before the grand palace is Thien pier, where you can see the Temple of the Reclining Buddha or take the ferry across to see the Temple of Dawn.

All this should take the better part of a morning. You might want to relax poolside a bit in the afternoon. In the evening, you should definitely try something Thai, by the river if possible. Most of the riverside hotels (Marriott, Shangri-La, Penninsula, Oriental...) are safe bets if you're not sure. I'm something of a local, so I eat in what Americans would call 'gresy spoon' type places. I'll leave it up to other to suggest more appropriate places for a first-timer.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM

MichaelBKK,

PLEASE!! Do tell of your favorite 'greasy spoons' in BKK. We love to eat where the locals do while on vacation...we will be there in less than three weeks and can't wait!!
Have you ever heard of Chojjitr Restaurant? (See my question posted a bit earlier) We would love to try one of your favorite local spots if you don't mind sharing. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:13 PM

may i respectfully suggest that bangkok is not the place to try a "greesy spoon" restaurant...

there are many less expensive restaurants but for the usual western stomach a local restaurant is usually a stretch...

my suggestions: tongue thai near the oriental hotel
gallery cafe near the sheraton orchid hotel
harmonique---near the shangri-la hotel and also the sheraton
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:14 PM

in the evening may i also suggest shopping at the suan lum nite market at the corner of wireless and rama IV roads
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM

I second Michael's suggestion of a morning spent at the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and Wat Arun. Located near each other and open early 8:30 I think so get there early to beat the crowds and the heat. Get a Thai massage - no trip to Bkk is complete without one IMO. A couple of hotels have nice spas - Dusit Thani, Sukhothai - else non hotel Ruen Nuad is one of my favs, in Silom. Another great one is Spa 1930, www.spa1930.com. I second Bob's Night Bazaar suggestin. Starts around 6 and a lovely browse, good shopping and great ambience. For dinner I'd say book the Blue Elephant or Lanna Thai at FACE if you want to have good Thai food in a nice setting. For no