Restaurant & tailor reccom in Bangkok

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Restaurant & tailor reccom in Bangkok

Hi there!

I would like to ask the experienced travellers here regarding low to med price restaurants in Bangkok that they have good experience with. I will be near staying Sukhumvit Soi 11 in mid-Feb. I have read through websites regarding restaurants but I'm getting totally overwhelmed by the lists! I am going with 3 other people and we are are open to local dives and mid-range restaurants by the river. Any reccomendations anyone?

I would also like to find a tailor to make trendy jackets & pants I see in magazines. Anyone knows a good and reliable tailor or where to find one? Siam centre or other places?

Many thanks and good travel everyone!

Winnie
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Type in the "search" box...tailors in Bangkok. This question gets asked a lot. I personally use Cotton House in the colonial building called Oriental Place which is the last street before entering the Oriental Hotel. When in Bangkok, I live at Sukumvit, soi 24,Prom Phong skytrain stop, but go all the way across town to that seamstress/dressmaker business. And it really is all the way across town from where I live. I have to take the skytrain, then a river taxi , and then walk a short way to get there. Happy Travels!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:24 PM

i ahve a hotel list if you ask me for it at: [email protected]
and give me your e address, i will send it to you asap...

several rest. in you local area in bkk..

cheap along the river are few and far between...yok yor may be one and also a couple in river city shopping center next to the sheraton hotel....

supatra, while not cheap is quite nice and right on the river opposite the grand palace...

tongue thai just in back of the op place mentioned above is great and not expensive

perhaps the best place near to the river is harmonique on soi 34 or 36 off of new road, near to the river....very reasonable and delicious---thai...

the food shops in the main malls like mbk and emporium and paragon are good places for decent food
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I just got back from BKK and had my things made at Cotton House... I was very happy with the quality of work there.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for everyone's feedback. I have quite a bit of places to go for this one week trip.

Smiles!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Just remember to hit the tailor first thing, so that you can get all of your fittings in!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:17 PM

I live in BKK on Soi 11 so I am very familiar with the restaurants. First question is what kind of food do you like and how much spice can you take. On soi 11, you can go the Lemoncello for pizza and pasta (across from Grand President), there is a thai restaurant near Cheap Charlies bar. Outdoor environment. For Indian Soi 11/1 is Mrs. Balbir's it is very good. Off of Soi 11 you can go to Lang Suan to Ad Makers for some great cheap thai food. They are closed on Mondays. If this is your first time to Thailand I would recommend the Seafood Market (Soi 24). It is not cheap, but it is a unique experience that I have only found in Asia. The food is really good as well. Let me know what other kind of food you are interested in and I can make some more suggestions. Food is cheap in BKK the alcohol is not. Wendy
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Seafood supermarket is a great experience, but the prices can add up very quickly.

I know a few excellent and I think very reasonable seafood places - but not by the river:

Somboons Seafood restaurant (corner of Surawong and Chong Nonsi) is excellent. The crab curry is to die for. Great seabass too. It's Chinese-Thai style. Bit short on atmosphere, but is busy, big and bustling.

Khrua Nai Baan - also known as 'Home' restaurant. It's on Soi Langsuan, about 3/4 the way down on the righthand side, opposite 'soi' (side street) 7. It's excellent seafood e.g. steamed seabass Sit outside. Very cheap. took my ex-boss & his wife there. For the four of us it cost about 20 quid and we ate like kings (and drank beer).

Chinatown at night, probably weekends are best. Just get out when you see loads of food carts. Somewhere on the main road there are seafood restaurants with street seating. Very popular and good.

Also check out the mango and sticky rice at the street stall at the entrance and slightly to the right of Sukhumvit Soi 38 (just outside ThongLor BTS).
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:41 AM

As I have said many times on this forum for mens tailoring with fine 140 superfine Italian medium and light weight wools for slacks, suits and sport jackets Mont sarto is first rate at very competitive prices. I have purchaed there 2 times when in BK and my mail once. First class $350USD slacks in 140 Canali wool are #75 for example. A suit of similar fabric will be @275 vs. $1200-$1400 in US. But, you need 3 days there and 3-4 fittings. The first one is 1 hour to pick fabric and measure. If you set a time for future measurements you are in and out in 30 minutes on 2nd and 3rd. If you are a perfectionist a 4th final fitting is 15-20 minutes but you have great work. Slacks alone take only 2 fittings.