The Great BKK Hotel Quandry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. So I figured it'd be easy enough to make this decision on my own, but since I've recently surrendered to the fact that I'm hopelessly dependent upon this board for everything now, I'll stop fighting it.

So we're in BKK for one night when we first arrive (before we travel to Laos)...arrive at 11 AM and our flight is at 1:30 PM the next day.

All we'll probably have the stamina for is to drop our stuff off, go to Face for a spa treatment, have a late lunch/early dinner and pass out. At least that's what happened last time We couldn't keep our eyes open past 7 PM.

That being said, I was going to splurge and check us into the Peninsula this time. But the more I think about it, if we're not going to stay there for spa treatments/majority of the day (it's a stretch for us to afford the room--but the spa treatments, I might have to take out a 2nd home loan for) then is it even worth it?

The other choices I'm pondering are: the Metropolitan (which seems like a giant club), the Eugenia (which seems to be in a completely isolated area) and the Four Seasons (which seems...not much cheaper than the Pen). I know these are all over the place location-wise. I think the FS might be closest to Face...I'm not sure.

...or should we throw caution to the wind and just stay at the Pen anyway? That's what I'm gravitating towards. I just don't want it to be a wasted experience.

Aggh...indecision is a bitch!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Eugenia is on Sukhumvit Soi 31 on the Green Route, which is popular backway to avoid Sukhumvit traffic. It's far from being isolated. Excellent Italian restaurant nearby (L' Opera).

http://www.theeugenia.com/intro.html
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 07:01 PM

In order to be close to Face, you just need to be close to a Skytrain station. So that gives you lots of options (I know, I'm making this worse). You know I love being on the river. If the Pen is too steep (especially when you'll mostly be sleeping) check and see if the Shangri-La has any special deals. It's on the river and right next door to the Skytrain.

Away from the river, there are lots of nice hotels virtually attached to Skytrain stations: the Grand Hyatt, the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, etc.

By the way, what day will you be in Bangkok? You know Cheryl and I always spend our first morning in Bangkok at Face!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM

for just the one night, you might check the Landmark hotel- right at Nana station. We were very happy here a Xmas 2004, especially on their lifestyle (I think thats what they're called) floor. Check their promotions for good specials.

Their breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had, and that includes the Oriental and the Pen. Neighborhood has lots of interesting stuff nearby.

I'm jealous!! I just love Face- coffee scrub with herbal compress massage...the best!!!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I'd throw caution to the wind and stay at the Peninsula, and use the spa there. In fact, we are doing just that. I've heard such good things about their spa, and I really like being able to have spa in the late afternoon, then cocktails, then dinner...very relaxing. You've got a good 24 hours to enjoy the hotel...and it's very enjoyable indeed. You'll wake up early, and you can enjoy watching the river, laze on into breakfast...you'll be famished, and the breakfast there is outstanding. We tried another hotel last time, and hated not being on the river, not to mention the spotty service. We're back to the Pen this time...in the big picture of what the trip costs, it's not so significant, especially for only one night.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM

penn of course but it is really a waste, so i would opt for something reasonable like the rembrandt, which is not all that far from face or emporium suites at soi 24....look on the HH hotel site which lists things by street and be near to suk soi 38??

www.huahin.20m.com
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 09:20 PM

I also vote for just staying at the Penn and do the spa there. Really by the time you get to any hotel it will be close to 1 pm (or perhaps even later) and then after you settle in do you really want to hop back into a taxi in Bangkok traffic or take a Skytrain to go “relax” at a spa? (You also have to do the trip in reverse after the relaxing treatment which may remove all the effects esp in the Bangkok heat.) I would get to the Penn and get in a bathrobe and not take it off for the rest of the day…go from treatment to pool (or vice versa) to maybe the gym, to room service to bed. Repeat next day if necessary. Unless the spa treatments are significantly cheaper at Face (an easy thing to check), you will save on time and aggravation not fighting Bangkok traffic or Skytrain crowds. Esp if your trip is a weekday. Those things are worth something, IMO. It’s a vacation. You just have to commit to spending the money for the Penn. Once you make that decision, then just stay there and enjoy it.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM

filmwil

Right now I'm at NRT, on my way back to ORD from BKK (11th trip). This time I stayed at Somerset Suwan Park View serviced apartments. Nice, but not what you want for a one-nighter before heading to Laos.

I'd go for the Pen. Hands down. If you are going to be exhausted, what better place to relax than by the river over a s-l-o-w meal, swim in the pool, watch the river come to life the next morning?? It's pretty hard to beat. Take the shuttle across the river and you're right at the skytrain station (Saphan Taksin).

That said, the Bangkok Holiday Inn is a good hotel in a great skytrain location. Breakfast is not included, but it isn't priced too unreasonably either, and is really excellent.

Enjoy your trip, and have fun planning as well.

Carol
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 10:47 PM

Another vote for a super-relaxing 24 hours at the Pen. The fabulously exotic spa is brand new and luxurious in an understated, cool minimal Asian way. It's so well done that it will win awards and is destined to become a destination spa.

No coffee scrubs, but a fantastic array of other memorable treatments. Super atmospheric "relaxation" area (in case you're not relaxed enough) before re-entry into the world.

And, as others have said, in addtion to the spa, the Pen is the ideal place to recover from jet lag, watch the river, have a Singha on a sala and experience one of the best hotel breakfasts in the world.

BTW, if you book your room through American Express Platinum, you'll get two free massages, an upgrade, plus a substantial discount. Our rooms were around $200 during xmas week, and I would guess they're considerably less when you're going.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:08 PM

Sorry to highjack this thread, but crosscheck, how are you getting discounts through Platinum Amex? I find their travel service completely worthless and on the verge of incompetent, and they don’t seem to offer discounts. I asked them about booking both Four Seasons in Hawaii and they not only didn’t they offer me various room types as I requested (ocean view versus club ocean, etc), they did not offer anything less than published rack rates. (They also went ahead and made bookings unbeknownst to me until the deposits appeared on my statement; you can imagine my surprise as my sister had already made us bookings herself). In any event, is there a particular agent you use? Or is it that Four Seasons does not discount?

I have tried Platinum Amex for a year, mostly to get shipboard credits and early boarding for a cruise I am taking to Alaska in August, but am finding no other benefits at all and am most likely going to cancel as it seems like a waste of money; the green version works fine for me. However, if you are finding good hotel rates, please enlighten me, as that has not been my experience.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Cicerone,

I have both a US issued Amex Platinum and a Thai issued Amex Platinum and I've noticed that their promotions or specials are not the same. Maybe Crosscheck is talking about cards issued by another country apart from the US?
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Filmwil...The Four Seasons is my number 1 choice. I've stayed there for years. Plus, if you only have one night, why go all the way over to the Pen? I've also stayed at the Pen and although I know that many swear by it, it wasn't for me.
As for the Metropolitan, I've stayed at the Metropolitan and loved it. I stayed there not long after it had opened...less than a year after it had opened. It's over by the Sukothai so the location is not the most convenient...but I'd stay there again.

As for the Eugenia, I did a long report on it in one of my trip reports. I think it was during the Dec 2005/Jan 2006 trip. It's not so far from my apartment building so I went and had an extensive walk-through of it. It's very deep into the soi. You'll need to take a tuk tuk from Prom Phong skytrain station. It's also quite confusing to find it. A Thai friend and I set out on foot to find it and then had to get into a taxi when we thought we would pass out of heat exhaustion after walking for about 20 minutes. The taxi driver that we flagged down was clueless as to where it was. There are two addesses that seem to be the same...one for the Eugenia and one for a small apartment buiding, but the Eugenia is behind an apartment building on a sub-soi. The taxi driver took us to the apartment building address first which I knew wasn't the hotel. So, my Thai friend asked a resident at the apartment building where the hotel was.

Plus, that's the hotel that had all of the dead,stuffed animals. It's like being in an Asian safari lodge. The concept is very nice and it's quaint, but for me the dead animals and animal skins are not for me. Maybe others like that sort of thing.
Of the hotels you've listed, I'd pick the Four Seasons hands down. Great hotel, beautiful, great service, location couldn't be better...the Rajadamri skytrain station is right across the street. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Cicerone & Hanuman,

Our card was issued in the U.S. and I agree that you can't always get the fabulous deals promised. We have never had luck getting the 2-for-1 business class tickets because they are usually offered on funky airlines.

Because we are such frequent travelers, have become spoiled by the upgrades and late checkouts. We have on occasion considered downgrading to gold, but the bottom line is that each year the extra $150 a year has more than paid itself.

We've also found that if we're flexible about hotel choice we always get many extra amenities. For the price of a standard double room we stayed in a 2-bedroom suite at the Ritz (now the Palace) in Barcelona w/ a non-stop parade of fruit baskets, bottles of Cava, etc. Similar deal recently at the Fairmont in Seattle - gorgeous suite, high tea, free spa treatments.

And when we booked the Peninsula in Bangkok, the Platnimu Amex rate was 30% less than the rate on the hotel's website(I know this is not always the case.)

We also like the concierge service. Got a great table at Gonpachi in Tokyo for New Years, hugely discounted car rentals in Europe and Central America, and have used them for theatre tickets in NY. In fact I am about to call the Amex concierge about tickets to a sold-out Red Sox game in August.

Cicerone,
I have had luck usually use agents at extentions 11407 or 11112, but have found that they move around. Just got back from Alaska. Expected to hate cruising, but had a great time. Will post info about fantastic independent shore excursions soon.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Hey Kathie,

I made reservations for the Tower Deluxe Suite at the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Although the US reservation folks had to ask my where Bangkok was, your suggestion to email the hotel directly was spot-on. Wow, are they responsive--I have never had such quick response via email--literally in hours.

After five email exchanges where they answered every question I had, I have a new best friend in the sales office at the ROS and (thanks to your tips), the best room in the city for the fireworks on New Years Eve!

They unfortunately couldn't honor the half price (SPG50)rate due to it being the peak week of peak season, but even at "rack rate", the rate for this great suite is quite reasonable. (I got a small break on my 5th email)

<b>Note: Below is my justification for going from a double room to the Towers Deluxe Suite at the ROS:</b>

I have found that upgrading hotel rooms is insidious and I have absolutely no will power. You start at one price and then you want a &quot;little bit better view&quot; and then &quot;oh, tower priviledges is only ($x) more.&quot; and then &quot;Just think what we'll save on breakfast and Internet.&quot; and then &quot;oh, there is only (x) increase in cost between this pretty nice room and that great suite.&quot; and &quot;Boy, that extra half bath will come in handy&quot; and finally.... &quot;It's New Year Eve for goodness sakes. You only live once. You DESERVE it!&quot;

So...that is the story of how Boston Harbor ended up in Kathie's favorite Bangkok place
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Crosscheck...I also use AmExp Platinum quite regularly to book the 4-5 star hotels and have gotten great room rates. When I stayed at the Pen in, I think Aug 2005, I paid only about $145 buffet breakfast included. The person who checked me in even raised an eyebrow when she saw the rate and commented that I had gotten a very good rate. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for such great suggestions! I think I've finally narrowed it down to the Peninsula or the Eugenia. I'll wait to see what prices Sawadee comes up with for the former (no rates posted until August) before we make the final decision. It's just the spa prices at the Pen total more than the cost of the room...and that's what's holding me back from booking it right now.

Kathie, we'll be there Nov. 10th. Will you two have moved on to Sri Lanka by then? It would be wonderful if our schedules overlapped--but I somehow remember them being off a bit.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM

Boston, I'm delighted you are all booked. I'd forgotten it was for NYE, so I'm not suprised thay couldn't give you the SPG rate. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Bill, most people report being able to get better deals on the Pen from the Pen's own website. Yes, we will have moved on to Sri Lanka by teh time you arrive in Bangkok... just barely. I think we fly to Colombo on the evening of the 9th.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Right now, the Peninsula's rates on sawadee.com and the Pen website at first appear different, but are the same in fact, with the website beating sawadee and other booking sites on some occasions. Also, booking through the hotel requires no prepayment and allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before check in without penalty.

Example
Deluxe room booked via hotel directly
Promo rate room only $210++ ($250)
Summer Splendor (room, breakfast, one-way transfer) $240++ ($285)

Deluxe room booked via sawadee
Room only including tax/service $235

Add breakfast (BHT650++ per person) and one way transfer ($75.00++) to sawadee's rate
I tried a 3 night booking for sample...so $48.00 per day for breakfast, and $30.00 for the transfer (divide by 3 days) makes the sawadee.com rate $235+48+30=$303/night with sawadee.com or $285.00 with peninsula.com.

For one night, direct booking has a Value the Experience rate which includes breakfast and no prepayment for $240.00++ ($285) versus $235.00 plus breakfast at $48.00 on sawadee.com ($283.00). For me, direct booking and not paying in advance is better, and the price is the same.
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Kim, do those prices match up for early November though? I don't see any prices listed for the Pen for November on Sawadee.

The hotel site shows the Value the Experience package for $260 + tax for our date in November. I was hoping Sawadee would offer a lower, tax-inclusive price once they release their rates for that time-of-year in a few short weeks.

Also, it's not the room rate that's causing any concern--it's the spa prices. And, those, I don't think are negotiable How I wish they were!
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM

You'd have to wait to check booking sites November prices to see if they match up. Maybe it's just that I'm lazy and prefer to go from spa to room and not hassle with skytrain/taxi...but the spa prices at the Peninsula don't make me want to go elsewhere because of the convenience factor (plus it has excellent reviews). In the whole scheme of what we spend for vacation, the hassle isn't worth the savings to me. But I know people are different, and hassle to me may be fun for another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -