Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

japan - the cirrus logo on cash machines?

Jul 29th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Original Poster

hey everyone
Im off to Japan on Thursday, and have recently been trying to investigate whether it would be possible for me to withdraw cash using my cashcard in Japan.

Basically, anyone living in the Uk will know what I mean when I say I have a 'switch' debit card. However, its the 'cirrus' and 'maestro' logos that Ive heard allow you to withdraw cash from abroad.

So my question to anyone who been to, or living in the Tokyo area, do cash machines in Japan widely accept 'cirrus' or 'maestro' cards?
Thanks very much for any help on this
David
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:49 AM

I knew that the answer was "yes", but I took a quick look on the web and learned a couple of things.

Cirrus (and Maestro, I guess) is associated with MasterCard. At mastercard.com, you can do an ATM locator search.

Jul 29th, 2003, 05:49 AM

So, there are 111 matches for Tokyo:
http://www.mastercard.com/cgi-bin/at...jpn&city=Tokyo
Jul 29th, 2003, 06:59 AM

Bonjour Davey,

In addition to mrwunrfl's, here's information on money matters from the London branch of JNTO http://www.seejapan.co.uk/visitor/money/atms.html

and the list of post-offices with atms that accept foreign cards (MC, Maestro and Cirrus ) http://jcbinternational.com/plazatokyo_eng/e_post.htm
Jul 29th, 2003, 11:06 PM

a small warning...don't count on your ATM cards. The machines in Japan are often hard to find, are only open during business hours, and the machines do not always have English translations. Even knowing some Japanese writing, and figuring the procedures are be similar to US machines, we've never been able to get cash out of any machines we tried. It almost seems like they won't take our passwords, but I always gave up without knowing.
We just take lots of cash with us, and use Visa whenever possible to make the cash last longer.
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks for all the help everyone. Im obviously taking my switch card, hoping that Ill be able to get some cash out with it, but I think I may have enough TC's/cash/credit to last me.
Thanks again
David