Where to stay by BKK airport

Aug 25th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Where to stay by BKK airport

Looking for any suggestions on where to stay between flights. We arrive at BKK at 12:50AM and are leaving for Phuket the same day at 9:10AM. We have already booked the Thai Airways tickets, but could bump up our departure time there as necessary. Our thinking was that we would grab an airport hotel and try and sleep for a few hours prior to going to Phuket - does this make sense?? or should we just take the earliest flight out to Phuket and stay at the airport. We had considered upgrading to business on Thai Airlines as their lounge opens at 5 or 6AM and thought maybe the customs at BKK would take some time so would only have a few hours of true hanging in the airport time. Any suggestions?

Thanks - The Kirby's
Aug 25th, 2004, 04:39 AM

I don't think you will enjoy hanging around at the airport over night. Customs could go quickly or it could take an hour, depending on arrivals. If you want to spend some $$$, the Amari is connected to the airport - you can walk to it. Less expensive is Rama Gardens, about 15 - 30 minutes away, depending on who you ask. Both places have received mixed reviews on this forum. For what its worth, I usually stay at the Amari on the Executive Floor. Upgrades to Business Class on Thai are cheap so I suggest you upgrade anyway.
Aug 25th, 2004, 05:52 AM

I prefer the Rama Gardens to the Amari. You can book the Rama Gardens on many websites for about US$75 per room in the new Executive wing - huge rooms, great bathrooms. If I were you, I'd push my Phuket flight just a bit later so you would have time for some sleep and to get back to the airport without feeling so rushed.

The advantage of the Amari is that it's "in" the airport. The disadvantage is that the rooms are cramped, (and franfkly, they feel dirty to me) and the prices are very high. Craig recommends the Executive floor rooms, which I'm sure are better than the regular rooms. (But for that price, take me in to Bangkok and buy me a suite at the Royal Orchid Towers.) If you do opt for the Amari, know that the breakfast buffet is close to US$20 per person...
Aug 25th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Don't upgrade to business class for the lounge, as the lounge at Bangkok airport is not at all comfortable, IMO. Here are a few suggestions.

1. The website for Bangkok Airport is http://www.airportthai.co.th. Click on Bangkok. According to the website, you can hire a dayroom (4-hour minimum) with a bed. Day rooms are available for passengers on the 2nd and 4th floor of Terminals 1&2. Advance reservation of rooms can be made by yourself through the telephone number 66-2-2535-3710.

2. Stay at the Amari hotel attached to the airport. As mentioned above I don't think it is anything great but for a few hours if its not too expensive, it should be fine. Website is www.amari.comThe other hotel near the airport is the Rama Gardens, about 10 minutes away, I believe they have a shuttle. Website is http://www.ramagardenshotel.com/

3. Try to get the earliest flight to Phuket you can. The Thai airways website shows a flight departing at 8 am (TG 921). Maybe you can get on that.

Also you might want to check in for the Phuket flight as soon as you land, that way you will avoid the long-check in lines in the morning, when the airport can be a bit chaotic. You also won't have to deal with schlepping luggage around for all those hours. I believe Thai lets you check-in up to 18 hours before the flight, of course that assumes there is a Thai check-in counter open at 2 am. Check the website for Bangkok airport or call Thai or check their website. If you can't check in you can store luggage for Baht 70/piece/day, there are left luggage counters in the arrivals and departure areas.
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:33 AM

my vote is for the rama gardens or for the comfort inn/suites...both are considerable less than $80 and are close to the airport...

i would think you would be finished at the airport aby 1:45AM if your flight is on time...just take a taxi to one of these places...

a good source for rooms at the airport is:

www.huahin.20m.com
and click on bangkok as see the hotels all listed together
Dec 21st, 2004, 03:30 AM

Does anyone know about connections in Tokyo? We are leaving Bangkok on a Thai airways 8:30 flight to Tokyo and have only one hour connection time in the same terminal to Continental flight back to NY on Jan 3. I am concerned about the one hour timing ;however the only other alternative is to fly overnite, arrive 5AM and wait 12 hours for the flight out in Tokyo airport! Does anyone know about these type of connections (ie. customs etc)???
Dec 21st, 2004, 04:37 AM

centeno - have you looked at the United Airlines flight that leaves for Tokyo at 7 AM?
Dec 21st, 2004, 04:49 AM

there are a bumch of airport hotels that go for about $20-$50, YES i'm a cheep bum, but seriousloy whats the "deal with paying so much for what will be about 6 hours of sleep?.

if ya need more upscale with a pool fitnes room, and the bit. I just notied some place called Miracle Grand Convention Hotel, it's neer the airport and goes for about $60 www.asiatravel.com. just an option..
Dec 21st, 2004, 05:21 AM

if its in the same terminal you will be fine i think, maybe not if you had to take the bus between the 2. the people at nrt were very helpful getting us onto our connection with little time to spare!