Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Where do you go on your second trip to India?

Jan 5th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

I am a 50ish woman travelling for 2 weeks with an 18yr girl. We have been to India before and done the triangle bit. We plan to buy air travel vouchers and will be setting off from Kolkata. Any suggestions?
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM

On our second trip we went to Kerala...It was gorgeous..On our third trip we are going to Goa (in a few months)...Hopefully on our 4th trip to Pushkar and further north..
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM

After our initial golden triangle trip, we went to varanasi, udaipur, and Ranthambore. Wanted to go to Darjeeling, but needed more time and warmer weather. Next time we'll do that, or Kerala, or Orissa, or....
Jan 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

On my second trip the south would be my priority.
Mubai & Kolkata, Goa. The Ajanta cavs, the Ellora caves.

But I would still have to dash up north and see tigers again in Ranthambore. I would go during the good season for the Bird sanctuary. Hmmm... I would want to see Varanasi again. I would want to bathe in the glory of the Taj again. The Raj Ghat was closed when I was in Delhi so I would have to go back to that...

Basically if I had a second shot at India I would take 5 weeks intead of 2, redo all of my trip up north, except Jaipur (don't need that twice) and then 3 weeks in the south.
Jan 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM

From Kolkata do the north east. Fly to Baghdogra, from there by helicopter to Gangotk, then by road to darjeeling, then to Shillong and maybe Kazinranga national park to see rhinos and other wildlife. COmpletely different from the Triangle and Delhi.
Jan 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Well, the Golden triangle is just a small glimpse of INDIA and many MANY more wonderous worlds await u! If you were at all taken by Jaipur,(capital of Rajashtan) and a point on the GOLDEN triangle u may want to foray much deeper into the state of Rajashtan. It is certainly one of the most fascinating/COLROFUL of India AND some of my favorite places in the State would include UDAIPUR,PUSHKAR and Jaisalmer! Anyways, seeing that u are setting of from Calcutta perhaps u can fly from and start ur second journey from Varanasi, PERHAPS the MOST fascianting place in India. U must visit there, it is at the verY heart/essence of India! No place like it. From Varanasi u may consider Khajurhao and from there u may travel thru Orcha too. These destinations are in Madhya Pradesh. There are so many options. YES, of course u can go south as well, but i would probably expolore the NORTH a wee bit more, and than go south on your third trip. I would also try to INCLUDE a stop in bombay, at the end. what a vibrant city! of COURSE the south has endless options too including the State of goa and one the State of KERALA too. i also love the Mountainous state of Himachal Pradesh. take care and feel free to drop me a line, as i am a American living in INDIA!
Jan 11th, 2006, 04:45 AM

The North-East is a wonderful and completely different experience from the Golden Triangle and very doable from Kolkata. Infact that can be your base for travel.

North of Kolkata is the Eaaterm Himlayan belt and scenic towns of Kurseong, Darjeeling and Sikkim. For accommodation you can check out more about a new boutiqe hotel Cochrane Place (www.imperialchai.com) at Kurseong.

Further Eastwards is the relatively virgin North-East. Assam is your gateway to this region and from here you can go along on a river cruise on the mighty Brahmaputra or else visit the famous Kaziranga National Park. Arunachal Pradesh is another gorgeous state and easily accessible from Assam. Shillong (Scotland of the East) is the capital of Meghalaya. There is a heritage hotel (Royal Tripura Castle) which is a wonderul place to stay in. Meghalaya has beautiful waterfalls and caves and a most unusualy living root bridge.
Jun 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Hi - well if you have 2 weeks and are landing in Kolkata - you must spend 2/3 days there - then Varanasi should be top of the list I reckon. You could travel from there to Khajuraho, Orccha. But they are maybe a bit obscure. Maybe fly to Varanasi and return then train it up to Darjeeling. And there's Sikkim too.

Generally I would recommend Kerala/Tamil Nadu for a second trip - or if you like mountains and don't want to be cossetted - then the North West - Simla, Himachal Pradesh.

But as you have decided on Kolkata there ain't much point in spending your time travelling thousands of Kms from there (in 2 weeks) - best stick to that side of the country - or arrive elsewhere, or get a longer holiday.

Have fun.
Jun 30th, 2006, 08:41 AM

In the few months since I posted in response to this message, Iu learned more about Bandhavgarh Park and I would definitely go there, even over Ranthambore

Jul 18th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Hi Kerrypie,

I shall be happy to suggest interesting options......but first - I need to know what month are you planning this trip for ?? The places to be visited can be decided only after I knwo the time period - so that seasonal angle can be also taken into consideration....

Yiu have just see Delhi - Agra and Jaipur - and have a whole lot to explore .....and depending on when you are visiting - one can suggest best places...

Cheers

ASHAMS