Best part of India for first trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have a chance to stop in India on an extended trip. We have never been there, though have travelled elsewhere in Asia. What do people recommend for a first trip? We enjoy both culture and nature; would love to see the Taj Mahal or the Himalayas.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much time do you have? And where are you coming from/going to? Likely you can do both the Taj and the Himalayas. Most people seem to go to Rajasthan for a first trip, but the Himalayas, either east or west, would be a great alternative. I liked the south, too, but that would depend on how long you have.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a three week trip that will begin in Spain and end in the South Pacific. India is going to be part of the middle--so I have some flexibility about how long to stay--up to a week. I will come back to India some day to see more, but want to get a taste on this trip. We'll be travelling in Feb 2008.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Three weeks total? When you said extended I thought you were talking months. With one week for India on that itinerary, I'd be inclined to start in Delhi, go on to Agra, taking in Fatehpur Sikri and the Bharatpur bird park, take the train to Varanasi and fly out of Kolkata.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll look into that route.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Take a look at seat61.com for train info. Also, if you're going in Feb, forget the Himalayas. I suggested the train and Varanasi because to me they are less touristy than Rajasthan. India is so marvelously diverse it's hard to say any one place is more characteristic than any other. You can read my trip reports on India at www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2001.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM

The Taj Mahal is a must, then Rajasthan specifically Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmeer and Udaipur. Next, Ganges at dawn in Varanasi. It is such a beautiful and moving experience.
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Hello there! Greetings from a Amercian who lives in India!

Well, for a one week intro trip that includes a bit of nature and culture i would probably suggest a foray in/around North India for a taste of the region, using Delhi as the in/out point.

Of course one week is not alot of time, so if you cna stretch it, do so, by all means.

For a route u can do by land/Car/driver and perhaps a train u might consider Delhi, Agra,(Taj) Rathambore(Tiger reserve) and Jaipur(capital of Rajasthan!)and back to Delhi.

OF course even with one week the itinerary as such will be a bit rushed, but at least if will give u a good intro taste of the region and include both cultural/historical highlights and a touch of nature too!

I am also a huge huge fan of Varanasi, but if u add this incredible city, u will need to add a domestic flite in/out to your route and u might need more time too. Perhaps in one week time it may be better suited to a land trip!

tAKE care, Namaste and happy travels. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] Happy to help!
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM

I had help from Fodorites for my trip to India in Feb this year and everything worked out perfectly (Hi thursdaysd!).

My only conplaint was I didn't have enough time anywhere in India - it's such a fabulously interesting and diverse country.

In 8 nights, we did the following....

* 2 nights Delhi
* Fly to Varanasi - 2 nights (highly recommended!)
* Overnight train to Agra
* 1 niight Agra (Taj Mahal a must)
* Drive to Jaipur (great for seeing surrounding countryside & life)
2 nights Jaipur

A bit of a whistlestop tour but enough to get a flavour for the diversity and get the 'bug' to return!

We used a car/driver who was a really nice, gentle, english speaking and reliable man. He took us around Delhi, met us in Agra and drove us to Jaipur and the sights there. I would highly recommend him and he can be contacted by e-mail - [email protected].

Happy travels.