What to see and do in Japan in 5 Weeks

Jun 20th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

What to see and do in Japan in 5 Weeks

Hey friends,
I'll be in Japan for about 5 weeks for the first time ever. I'm really excited. I can't put into words how much. Travelling Japan has been on my bucket list for about 10-15 years and I either never had the money or the time to realise this... dreamy scheme. Now I finally can.
I'll arrive in Osaka on the 28th of July and leave on the 2nd of September. Right now I don't really have a route or a greater plan in general. I just know that I have about five weeks to see this country I've always dreamed of visiting.
I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice what to do, hints what to see and maybe even shared time to spend, so that maybe I can experience the country in more than just a touristic way.

I love nature, but I also love cities. I like architecture, wild life and gardens. I really do like people. I guess what I want to say is that I'm open for any advice.Love,
Matse
Jun 20th, 2019, 02:44 PM

The best online resource for Japan travel is www.japan-guide.com.

Spend lots of time there as it has info on how to use the train system as well as info on sightseeing and such. Also, there are lots of threads here on Fodors on people's trip planning for Japan as well as a lot of trip reports.

At the top of this page there is a box with a drop-down menu that says "search by Country". Choose Japan and it will list all of the threads that have been tagged "Japan."
Jun 20th, 2019, 06:10 PM
kja

Ditto to Kathie's excellent advice!
Enjoy -- Japan is a delight.
Jun 21st, 2019, 10:40 AM

You need to do some homework, as mentioned above.

Why do you want to go to Japan? The things that you say you love can be found in other countries. When you dream about Japan what is in your dreams?
Jun 22nd, 2019, 09:23 AM

Check out the NHKTV programs either on your cable or via Youtube.
Journeys in Japan, J Trip Plan, Core Kyoto, Tokyo Eye 2020 plus more.
A lot of ideas both on and off the beaten track, with five weeks you can do both.
Have a great trip
Jun 23rd, 2019, 05:42 PM

As kathie and kja have noted, you need to spend serious time with japanguide.com to determine what interests YOU. If Japan is a life long dream for you, the research and planning should be 1/2 the fun. It also allows you to take the trip twice, so to speak.

FWIW, my all time favorite Japan experiences over two trips have been:

1. Seeing snow-capped Mt. Fuji
2. Breakfast sushi and Tsukiji market in Tokyo
3. Staying in multiple ryokans
4. Attending the Miyako Odori geisha performance in Kyoto (April)
5. Shopping for awesome knives in Kappabashi Tokyo.
6. The cherry blossoms in full bloom in Kanazawa.
7. Miyajima island
8. My first sight of Matsumoto castle.
Jun 23rd, 2019, 11:58 PM

Hi Matse,

Like you I am planning a trip to Japan. Although in my case it is our second trip returning after 11 years and is much shorter. Even so, I am struggling to narrow down where to go this time ( but I think I am almost there, hopefully!)

As suggested by the guys above, Japan-Guide .com is an excellent resource with loads of information, the main problem is is filtering it down to manageable amounts.

From our first trip, highlights included:
Koyasan - staying in a temple in the mountains
Kyoto - more UNESO World Heritage sites than any other place in the world - 5 days were not enough!
Tokyo - as mentioned by minnbeef Tsjukii fish market was incredible, the most memorable breakfast I have ever eaten ( I think it may have moved location since)
Takayama - our first stay in A Ryokan

For our next stay a primary objective is to include a couple of stays in Onsen Ryokans.

Minnbeef - thanks for the suggestion of Kappabashi for knives. I collect kitchen knives from around the world and had been looking for a place to buy a Japanese addition. You have saved me a lot of time!
Jun 28th, 2019, 06:34 PM

crellston- you are very welcome. I have bought 3 knives over my two trips from Kamata knives in Kappabashi. A 5 santoku, a beautiful yanagiba that is indespensible for sashimi and other raw fish preparation and a bad ass deba that I love for whole fish preparation. And Kamata will engrave your knives with your name in kanji.