What Island in May?

Feb 15th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

What Island in May?

I know this is a question everyone seems to ask, so here I go.

We are thinking of traveling to Thailand in May for a month. We will hang in BK for a week or so and would like to go to an island or two for the remainder. I know it is the start of the rainy season. Is there a drier island or area of islands in May?

Thanks so much...
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:04 PM

i was there last year at that time and am going again this year....koh samui was beautiful with no rain for the 4 or 5 days we were there....this year i will visit phuket and koh chang...even though it is the start of the rainy season, generally i do not think it will rain and rain....just some showers...the bad rainy season is generally at the end of august and in september....locals may correct me but i think this is the rule...for our 1 month stay last year, we had showers twice in bkk in the afternoon---once pouring at lunch time for 30 minutes...another nite it poured while we were in chiang rai---after dinner...
generally we go to the pool in the AM because we have found it tends to cloud up by late morning....this is actually good as it keeps the heat down...

hua hin is good at that time of year as well i believe...
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:21 AM

The drier side is the east coast side of Thailand in the Gulf of Thailand. Places like Hua Hin, Samui, Koh Lantai. Perfect weather in May. Phuket and other parts of the west coast will be wetter at that time.

Since you have that much time, I would strongly suggest that you include the east coast of Malaysia, which has some of the most beautiful and undeveloped coastline in SE Asia. You could fly to Hat Yai and rent a car and go south as far as your time allows and then drive back. You could also fly to Kota Bharu (would probably have to transit through KL).

Take a look at weatherbase.com and worldclimate.com for historical average temps and rainfall.
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you guys for the good info. We were actually thinking of going to Malaysia too, and now I really want to go. That is exactly what we are looking for! Now it is time to convince my wife who is leaning towards going to India because of the tsunami. Thanks again.
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:07 AM

I love India, but do NOT go there in May. Hot, hot, hot and hotter. Makes Bangkok look like the Artic. The only slightly cooler place are the beaches of Kerala and Goa, but they could certainly have a tsunami....and even they will be quite hot in May as they wait for the monsoon to break.
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Although you can get some rain in Bangkok and the South of Thailand is starting it's rainy season the Gulf of Thailand islands and beaches are relatively dry and in some areas totally 'dry'. For a busy tourist orientated Island Koh Samui would be the usual choice, nearby islands include Koh Phangan which remains very natural ( except during the Full Moon Parties ), also Koh Tao which is excellent for Scuba diving and snorkeling. Across the other side of the Gulf is Koh Chang which is a relaxing island but now with quite a few good resorts, in same area is Koh samet, less developed but gets very busy at weekends, but pleasant enough. If you want mainland 'dry' areas then Hua Hin and Pranburi areas. You could still be lucky in the Krabi/Phuket areas but you could also get rain. You can beach and island hop south of bangkok through Hua hin onwards to Chumphon and then boat across to Koh Tao and onwards to Koh samui. These places are all very very different but the choice provides something for everyone.