I've won a trip to Thailand...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...but can only travel late August, when it's rainy season. I have been to Thailand in March, and I loved it. Would like to spend at least a week in Bangkok, but where to go after that, would like to stay at the beach for a while. I have 3 weeks vacation and would love to use my free tickets to Thailand, but everywhere I look I see don't travel to Thailand in rainy season. Can you help me with some advice on which places to visit during August/September?

Lise
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:52 AM

The different areas of Thailand have different weather patterns, certain places in Aug / Sept have heavy rainfall others have 'some' but there is a substrantial difference:

Rainfall stats per month for Aug / Sep:

Bangkok: 7.4 / 12.6
Phuket: 10.3 / 16.5
Samui: 5.6 / 7.6
Hua Hin + Sunrise Coast: 3.5 / 5.4
Koh Chang + Eastern Seaboard: 5.1 / 6.8

August is a better month.
If you have 3 weeks then a week in Bangkok, a week in the North or North-East and then a week at the beach is fine.

Koh Samui for a busy island is 'peak time' in August because of the fine weather.
You just need to avoid the south west which gets the monsoons from the Bay of Bengal.

Also do not be put-off by some rain, it is only really a 'big nuisance' if you go to a rainy place for the beach.

Tropical rains bring life to everything, the scenary after rains is far better than during a dry time, I guess I am lucky, sure I don't like being stuck in a flood or something but otherwise a bit of rain certainly cools down the air, there are also certainly in Bangkok and the North many things you can do to fill your time if you catch a rainy day, think about anything from Spa, Cooking classes, shopping, visiting indoor places.

You have been before so you already will know a lot, just stick to the Gulf Islands / Coasts and you should get fine weather.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you James,

As far as I can see, Hua Hin and Koh Chang would be fine in rainy season, I didn't like Samui that much when I was there a couple of years ago.

Since I have never been to neither Hua Hin or Koh Chang, could you suggest which beach/resort to choose, I would pay up to 5000 baht per night.

Lise
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:32 AM

Fortunately they are very different so that always makes it easier !

Now, tell us why you didn't enjoy Samui and that helps to make a choice.

Giving a very rough difference between Koh Chang and Hua Hin:

KC : Fly from BKK to Trat, then short road and boat. Island, quiet, developing but still semi-rural. Limited restaurants, mainly those at other resorts or some along the beaches, very limited shopping. Evenings some music and drinks. Accommodation, wow, for 5k you can get the Amari which should suit you just fine, under 5k

Some reviews and pics:

http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...=beachsiam.com

HH: About 3 hrs by cab or limo from BKK. Busy, beaches not nearly as great as KC, but, more shopping ( new mega mall complex ), night markets, busy town, tame bars and tame nightlife but still Thai dance shows and some cabaret. Eco-toursim, national park, elephants, golf etc
Hyatt Regency Resort, about 4,200

For April reviews and pics:

http://www.res24.com/review/posts.ht...huahin.20m.com

So it comes down to a relaxing tranquil island or a busier coastal area.

Getting away from it all KC would be nicer but if you want more activities etc HH.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:37 AM

Just to add, in HH Marriott top room ( deluxe seaview twin ) is only about 3,700 with breakfast, stay 7 nights get 1 freee night. There is also a Sofitel, Hilton, Dusit, the Anantara also. Also the new Wora Bura, but I think Hyatt is about the best value in that range, also nicer location.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM

I go to Thailand about twice a year for vacation...usually in Dec/Jan and August and I haven't had any major problems in August. Go...have a ball...and don't worry about the weather. At least there are fewer people in August since they stay away because of being freaked out about possible bad weather. Happy Travels!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:30 PM

If you're going to be there for 3 weeks, you could check out Cambodia, Laos, VietNam or Myanmar as well as Thailand. Check Weatherbase.com for information.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:41 PM

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!
Old May 4th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

I have now decided to take my mother with me, she'll turn 60 while we are there, and I think she deserves to be spoiled with a nice vacation.

Hua Hin seems to offer more things to do in case it rains a lot, so the only thing left is to choose a hotel.

James, thank you for your suggestions, I have now looked at the pictures of the hotels, and have some more questions. Is it possible to walk in to town from Hyatt? I've read it takes 10 min to walk, but it seems a long way on the map, so just want to check if it is true. I don't know if you stayed at all of the hotels you've suggested, but can you tell me which one has most beautiful grounds/gardens, that is the one thing apart from temples my mother was most exited when looking at my Thailand pictures. We could also stay at 2 hotels in Hua Hin, since we’ll have 2 weeks in Hua Hin and then 10 days in Bangkok.

Gpanda, If I were travelling with my husband and not my mother we would visit the other countries too, but since it is my mother coming with me, I want her to relax, no stress of getting to the planes, buses, moving all the time.

Thank you all, and sorry Mitch04, can’t take you with me this time, but I’ll put you on my waiting list (I plan to win a lot of those free tickets in future

Lise
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM

Lise-if you go to Hua Hin, take a look at the Sofitel Central. It's got wonderful grounds and is right in the center of town. We loved it. It's old-style low rise. They have tea in the afternoon.

Also, give a thought to a quick jaunt over to Angkor Wat in Cambodia. You could go there for 3-4 days without stress from BKK and see the amazing temples. Using a guide like Ponheary or Dara (search this forum) will simplify this. One generally takes a break in the heat of the day, so it is not in anyway grueling.
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:49 AM

I live in Thailand and visit HH frequently, in fact at the moment 50% of the way in deciding to move there ! Have been through there this week, So I know those hotels well.

I agree totally with Gpanda, if you are taking your Mother I think you will enjoy the style and location of the Sofitel. It was built in about 1920 and although updated retains the same amazing style, not stuffy but at the same time very 'classic' in style and service, plus right on the beach with pools and gardens, then the other side you are 'right in the town' with shops, restaurants, walk to night market etc.
The Hyatt cannot be walked in 10 minutes ( or even run ! ), it is about 4 km from town center, local pick-ups charge 25 US cents equivelent ( 10 baht ) each, a taxi at night would be USD 3 ( B 120 ). Hyatt is more modern in style and is normaly one of my top recommendations but as you are taking your Mother being right in town gives you the adbantage of being able to split up and do different things.

I would say though 2 weeks is a bit long in 1 place, Angkor would be a great add on if you could afford it or perhaps some days in Chiang Mai ( budget flights are very cheap, ignoring the promo type fare quoted that exclude high add ons for tax/surcharges etc you could think around USD 25-30 each way per person as reasonable to expect to pay ).
Sofitel goes from around 3,500 to about 5,000.
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, Sofitel sounds and looks great, so we'll go for it.

James, since you're thinking of moving there, you must know some good restaurants. Any suggestions will be appreciated, we eat all kinds of food. Also, since you know the area well, any suggestions on what to see, visit, do will be more than welcome.

Chiang Mai would be nice to visit again, I'll look into it. Angkor will have to wait for next time.

Any suggestion on how to get to Hua Hin from the airport?

Lise