Weekend in Singapore

Jun 4th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Weekend in Singapore

I have business in Singapore next week, staying at the Fairmont and will have the weekend free to see the place. This is my first visit to Singapore. Please help me plan a fun weekend. I like scenic dining spots and culture, but not Malls, shopping or zoos ( am a frequent Africa safari enthusiast). So local hot spots and any off the beaten path outdoor spots would be great.
Thanks.
Jun 4th, 2013, 07:28 PM

we liked the hop on hop off bus to get the lay of the land...

Clarke quai is a good place for bars, restaurants, etc...
Jun 4th, 2013, 10:15 PM

Singapore is a diverse multi-cultural/racial society.To experience this you need to get into their respective quarters.Its vibrant be it Chinese,Indian,Malay,Peranakan in Katong and Joo Chiat to Serangoon Road in Little India or China Town.You'll see culture everywhere.For architecture you have the St Andrew's Cathedral,the Sultan's Mosque,the Jamai Mosque,Thien Hock Kheng temple,the Haw Par Villa and Mariamman temple to name a few.
Take a walking tour.Here is a link and its for free...
http://singaporefootprints.com/
Jun 5th, 2013, 05:23 AM

We love the botanical garden, especially the orchid garden. Go early in the morning.

Singapore is a foodie's paradise. There are lots of posts here about restaurants and hawker stalls.
Jun 5th, 2013, 06:19 AM

See here what Singapore has to offer: http://www.molon.de/galleries/Singapore/
Jun 5th, 2013, 07:52 AM

Cuisine is the national obsession. The multicultural society combines recipes from all over, making Singapore one of the greatest places in the world for restaurants. Choices range from the renowned hawkers' stalls, now taken off the streets and collected in sanitary malls, to grand hotels with famous chefs. Prices vary across that range and can eat a hole in your pocket but generally are worth it. To begin your research -- which is vital, considering the variety of choices -- try this mouthwatering blog http://ieatishootipost.sg/
Jun 5th, 2013, 11:37 AM

The Haw Par Villa is a great spot, albeit hard to find. It is not very popular now a days but its cultural essence is intact (or was in 2011 at least). For some decent dining options, Holland Village is a nice spot with a good variety of eating joints.
Jun 5th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Great responses. If you need any assistance on African safaris I am on the Africa board.
Jun 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM

The Night Safari was really wonderful. We were so surprised. You get a close up experience with indigenous animals. Now, if you have just been to Africa... Agree with Botanical Gardens. Night light show is fun, too.
Jun 7th, 2013, 02:37 PM

oops...sorry about the night safari; I didn't read your post carefully enough.
Jun 7th, 2013, 09:31 PM

Haw Par Villa is easily accessible by Mrt (circle line). Botanic gardens is my favourite place as well, a visit to orchid garden is highly recommended.
Clarke quay and Boat Quay are good for restaurants and pubs, though not a cheap option to dine there.
If you like to see something different, do visit pulau ubin which is located at the East side of Singapore. You would need to take a short boat ride to reach the Island. The most popular activity is to cycle around the island. We've been experiencing heavy rainfalls in the evening everyday this week so you might need to factor in weather conditions.
Jun 11th, 2013, 02:09 AM

I had my first trip to Singapore in late Feb/early March. First, I loved the city and we are planning a return trip. In addition to all the other activities listed above, esp the Botanic Gardens, one of my trip highlights was a taxi tour around the Tiong Bahru neighborhood. I had a meeting scheduled there, caught a taxi from my hotel (the Mandarin Oriental) and while enroute, got a text that the meeting was delayed. I had heard that you could still see quite a bit of colonial architecture (particularly apartments) in the Tiong Bahru neighborhood and because cab fares are pretty reasonable, I asked the driver if he could show me around a bit. He was knowledgeable and friendly and we went by some really attractive areas off the beaten path.

Also, I enjoyed having a few drinks at the Writers Bar at Raffles Hotel. It was serene and beautiful. I chatted with a few expats there and enjoyed some excellent cocktails (no Singapore Slings, I don't like those, I had vodka Collins instead). Not cheap though, figure on about 25 SGD per cocktail.
Jun 13th, 2013, 02:08 PM

>>>I have business in Singapore next week, staying at the Fairmont and will have the weekend free to see the place. This is my first visit to Singapore.<<<

Greetings to the OP and warm congrats on initial visit to our fine home of Singapore; just catching up to this thread from early Friday morning on the road. (And well done, staying at the Fairmont; pre-property purchase, the Four Seasons was my main SIN business travel hotel.)

If not too late for suggestions and your SIN departure, will give the ongoing praise to my favourite airport in the world, Changi; do try for sufficient time to savour the property before your flight. My latest Changi experience was this most recent Monday morning for a meeting and subsequent SQ business flight. Fine airport, with some great friends and staff, along with some rather unique Butterfly and Orchid Gardens, and those ever tranquil Koi Ponds. (And, that cherished Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in Terminal 3 was as fine as ever.)

Hope you return soon to SIN for business/holiday. Early and warm Friday morning and weekend wishes to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...