Singapore or Kuala Lumpur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can fly to Manila from either Singapore or Kuala Lumpur, and will have just one day there. Which city is the most interesting for a day?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:50 PM

IMO one day in either is silly, but I think you will find Singapore easier to get around and see more in a day, as a lot of the old colonial bits are concentrated along the river together with a number of good restaurants, two very good museums and some shopping. The subway is easy to use if you want to get to the Orchard Road area and taxis are cheap if you want to go to little India or other parts. The airport is also much closer to town than KL's. Also, what time of year? There may be a festival going on in KL that might sway me more towards KL, but generally I would pick Singapore (there may also be a festival going on in S'pore.) Personally, I would not bother with a one-day stop over in either, but would use an extra day in the Philippines to go to beaches or the beautiful rice terrace area. Where else are you going to be in the Philippines?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I've been to both. I vacation in Singapore regularly , but have been to KL,too. Singapore will be a lot easier to figure out and get around in in such a short time. I adore Singapore. KL was quite interesting architectually to me as well as Singapore, but I just have more fun in Singapore...and the Singaporeans are a great fun group of folks. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

I am flying from Siemp Reap to Sing or KL and will miss the flight to Manila by about an hour in either city, so I will have to spend the day. I am meeting my son in Manila, who has been there for two years, then we are both coming home. We just have a week there and there were some places he wanted to go - Mindoro and Palawan. I would love to see the rice terraces but no time this trip.
Sounds like Singapore is the best option. Any suggestions for things to do there? I will be there Oct. 16. thanks so much for your help.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Click on my name. I've written a lot on Singapore. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Been to both places and agree with the others -Singapore would be the easiest option. I remember it took us a full day or more to get our bearings in KL.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Singapore it is! Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 04:19 AM

Nurse Sally:
Do a search on this forum for my trip reports to Manila- especially the first one in March of 2005- I list a number of things to do and see while in Manila.

And yes Sing is the better of the two for a one day visit.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:51 PM

Singapore has more tourist attraction and yes easier to move around but KL is much cheaper especially if you are a shopaholic. If the latter just park yourself in the Mandarin Oriental or Marriott/Regent/Ritz Carlton and you will be very busy indeed!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:41 AM

shopping cheaper in KL? really depends on what items. for made in Malaysia products yes, otherwise no.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Bill,
I already read your report a few weeks ago - downloaded alot to take with me. thanks!