Weather in Hue & Hoi An in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of planning a trip to Vietnam for February next year.

We will arrive in Saigon approx 8th Feb and as well as time in Saigon, plan to visit Mekong Delta, Hue & Hoi An. We will arrive in Hue approx 14th February.

Does anyone know what the weather will be like in Hue & Hoi An at this time of year. I have looked at historic temperature charts and it seems that we should have sunny days with temps of approx 75f. Can anyone who has visited at this time comment.

We hope to have a little beach time in between sight seeing in Hoi An and temps of 70f and above would be fine. I am slighlty concerned that the weather may be disappointing and we should plan on being further south for the beach part of our trip
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I was in both places this past Jan.(end) and it is the rainy season in central Vietnam but it wasn't too bad. Hue was overcast, very humid and a bit rainy at times and Hoi An was quite different with sunny and warm/hot days and great beach weather with some intermittent rain. I have found that I cannot count on the historical weather charts too much.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 12:39 PM

The historical weather charts can't predict what you'll experience, but I find them useful nonetheless. The website I use is www.weatherbase.com Check each place you are visiting, and pay more attention to the average hi and average low rather than the average temp.
Old Aug 7th, 2010, 11:11 PM

I have been to Hue several times in Jan, March and most recently a week in Feb 2008. Whichever time we visited it has generally been dull and overcast with occasional rain. Because of the proximity of Hue to the mountains and coast I think it has a bit of a localised micro climate and experiences this type of weather much of the time. Interesting city though with great food and lots too see so it shouldn't spoil your enjoyment of the place.

Hoi An's weather should be a bit warmer and sunnier but you are on the cusp of the seasons so it will vary from day to day.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 05:02 AM

I was there last Aug. It was really hot & dry, even by night! It said that the weather is often same every year & storm season is period of Oct & Nov.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 02:54 AM
CFW

Yorky, We will be in Hue & Hoi An Feb 18 - 23. We will just miss your dates or we could have planned to get together for a drink or coffee! We are staying at the Victoria on the beach just outside of Hoi An and hoping for good weather.
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM

CFW, we're staying at the Victoria HoiAn in early March!
Old Aug 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
CFW

Weather should be perfect by then...
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM

If you can only visit one which would it be Hue or Hoi An. Thanks.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM

I travelled with GAP from Hanoi to HCM last September (2009). Was an awesome trip. We got the overnight train down from Hanoi to Hue and then drove to Hoi An. Hoi An was my favourite place that we visited in Vietnam . Great food (really cheap - I think the best one was called Secret Garden) and really good for shopping (if you go you must get some clothes made - be careful about where you go as many hotels and guides get a commission and don't take you to the best places. Valy was good but I reckon A Dong Silk is the best).

As you get closer to Danang you can see miles of great beaches and plots set out by all the major hotels. Give it a few years and everyone will be wanting to go to central vietnam!

I had such a great time in Asia that I am going back in February/March 2011. Doing some island hopping in Thailand first but will be in HCM on 27/2 then spending 3 days in Hoi An between 28/2 and 3/3. I'm travelling on my own so would be great to hook up for beers with anyone in the area.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM

Small world my wife and I will be in Hue 24-26 Feb 2011 and
Hoi An 27 Feb - 2 Mar 2011 found this little conversation checking weather for both places.
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 09:22 AM

<<we should plan on being further south for the beach part of our trip>>
Yes, Yorky, you should plan for Nha Trang or somewhere further south for beaches. We spent the third week of March in Hue and Hoi An in 2011 and experienced overcast skies and some rain. Certainly not beach weather in either place. Nha trang, on the other hand, gets better weather with more sunshine than many surrounding areas.
My wife, who's more expert in these things than I am, found tailors in Hoi An a disappointment, including Yaly (not Valy) and A Dong. But there's a VN designer with a shop called Papillon Noir that has excellent items. We bought several ready-to-wear pieces there. See papillonnoir-fashion.com/
Old Nov 2nd, 2011, 09:46 AM

I was advised (by whom-else, Fodorites) that while it's fun to pick up custom-made clothing in HoiAn, the quality is just not very good. We passed.

As for beaches, that time of year must be hit-or-miss. We were in HoiAn the second week of March last year and had 2-1/2 fabulous beach days, and on the third day, it was raining so hard in the morning, and the sea was so rough, that we just left earlier than planned for Saigon.