We loved Luang Prabang - and found a great guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spent 5 days in LP last month and really enjoyed it.

We had booked guides in advance for our other SE Asia locations (Dara Ly in Siem Reap/Tong in Bangkok) but planned to just wing it in LP..........our plan was to relax and figure it all out once we got there.

We really loved Luang Prabang......stayed at The Apsara (fuller trip report to follow) and we spent the first few days bumming around town....but eventually we wanted to go further afield.

An Elephant Ride to the waterfalls....that's what we needed to do but we prefer to take private guides

So we walked along the main street of LP and spoke with a few tour operators.......for most the concept of a private tour wasn't clear so we kept going. And then we came upon Ta Keovongsy. He understood immediately what we wanted....... he described the half day tour, we modified it as we would like it and booked it as a private tour (the normal rate was $28/ea ...a private tour was $35/ea - for an incremental $14 dollars it was just what we wanted!)

The next morning he picked us up at our hotel and we had a delightful trip - way more than just a half day - highlights can be found on our blog

http://lizandrichardsa.typepad.com/2007_adventures/

Click on the Luang Prabang link on the left hand margin.

We highly recommend Ta as a guide - his spoken English is very good - we had several long involved conversations about Lao today versus 30 years ago (he's 32)....his written English is OK - if you email him don't be put off by somewhat stilted English.

Following is his contact information:

Khamta (Ta) Keovongsy

[email protected]

More info on our blog - happy to answer questions.

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Reposting Ta's email address - it didn't seem to take in the last posting

[email protected]
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Loving your blog. So glad you liked LP - it is a wonderful spot!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie!

Finally up to date (sort of) on the blog....LP done and Singapore maybe tomorrow....in NZ now

Best

Liz
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 02:35 AM

I read this posting with interest as I will be going to Laos next january. Your weblog is fabulous. Not only for the Laos information but also some things I haven't done in bangkok. what was the name of the hotel you stayed at in Bangkok?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM

I'm in the midst of reading your blog right now and it is GREAT! Thank you so much for posting it . . . I have bookmarked it so I can keep up with you.

Happy travels,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

kingbonza - the hotel is Arun Residence

www.arunresidence.com

We loved it (obviously!) but really recommend the Arun Suite - the other rooms have only partial (and some obstructed) views of Wat Arun.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:40 PM

thank you for a great tip. Am planning a trip to Thailand and Laos and your blog is great.

I have in the last few weeks attempted without success to email the Arun residence. Any suggestions on how to contact them? If I phoned is it likely I will reach someone who speaks english?

would love to ask additional questions. my email is [email protected] if you would be so kind as to email me.

If you go back to south american and to Argentina, please let me know. I just returned in October from a trip there and can connect you with some really wonderful forum members.

thanks susan