Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

30 days, airmile and SPG points; where to go?

Old Apr 6th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am leaving Dubai after 6 years and heading back to chilly Canada; with a month in hand and Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos or other in mind, can anyone suggest an itinerary of street food, markets and scenic targets? Not into all night parties much.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:10 AM

Any place in Asia could provide you with street food, markets and amazing scenery. Give us some more hints. Where have you been in SE Asia?

Some of the best street food in the world: Georgetown, Penang (Malaysia) and Singapore. Singapore is an expensive destination, so plan to use your SPG points there.

I would certainly include Bangkok, and there are lots of good places to use your SPG points.

Are you interested in Buddhism? Temples? For ancient temples, Angkor Wat; for working temples, Bangkok and Luang Prabang, Laos. Want to avoid temples altogether? VN and Malaysia.

More info will help us be more helpful.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and kind of you Kathie; I have done the KL, Langkawi, Singapore and Ho Chi Minh City. Bangkok has worried me due to reported violence so I am glad to hear you would not hesitate to include it What I really need is to escape to an agenda that I might never have a chance to do from the cold white north. Japan, China should (could be) be on this list but it's all about my restricted time. I would like 5 to six targets that can be arranged to facilitate travel.

cheers
Andrew
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 08:12 AM

There has been political unrest in Bangkok, but I'd just work around it. Tourists are not targeted in any way. I'd stay at a hotel along the river. With your SPG points, I'd choose the Sheraton Royal Orchid. Along the river, you have easy access to the water taxis to get to the main temple areas, the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun and others. You are walking distance from Chinatown with lots of good street food. There are a couple of Bangkok Streetfood tours that have been well-reviewed here.

From Dubai, fly to Bangkok. If you want to include Angkor and Luang Prabang, use Bangkok as you base and get the Bangkok Air Discovery Pass to allow you to visit both of those and return to Bangkok. Then I'd fly onward to Georgetown, Penang (either as a non-stop on Thai Air from Bangkok, or via KL on cheap Air Asia Tickets. Singapore would be my last stop.

That gives you a rough itinerary to work from. See if it meets your needs or what to change so it does.
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Super...let me review and I will come back with questions.

thnx Kathie, amazing & fantastic!
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM

on my way from Dubai I might like a stop in sri lanka or the Maldives, both places you might not normally go to.

save pts for Singapore and other like cities. Bangkok hotels are often affordable but it is also a place for pt usage.

the Sheraton imperial in K/L is a good place for pt usage if you head thru there again.

Sheraton krabi, Sheraton pattaya, westin Bangkok, 4 pts Bangkok, Sheraton hua hin, le meridian khao lak, starwood property in chiang mai, are all good SPG properties in thailand
Old Apr 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM

You might consider Malaysian Borneo for part of your trip. There is a Meridien in Kota Kinabalu (often the first stop in a Borneo trip) and a terrific Four Points Sheraton (and a good points value) in Sandakan. Although you probably wouldn't want to stay for too long in either city, they are good stopover cities en route to or from more exotic destinations within Borneo (such as rainforest lodges, Mt Kinabalu, etc) and there are sights/activities in or near both cities. Check out my recent trip report if you're interested.