I need some advice on possible first trip to Asia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I love to travel and have been to Europe on our last three vacations. While there is still so much we want to see in Europe, we are considering an Asian trip for next May. However, I have no idea where to begin! We both love history, culture, sightseeing, beautiful scenery, and just lingering and taking it all in.

For some reason, the thought of Asia makes me a little nervous. It has nothing to do with safety but rather culture shock. Eating (as crazy as it is) is a concern for us as well. We are not adventerous eaters and neither of us eat seafood of any sort. I'm assuming that in most cities there will be a variety of different foods, but please tell me if I'm wrong.

I've done some research and so many places interest me! We only have 10 nights (we both work full-time and are in school, and my husband doesn't have as much vacation time as I have). We were considering possibly Hong Kong, Singapore, or Bangkok. I basically would love recommendations on some places that would be good "intros" into Asia.

Thank you so much for your help. If this sort of question has been asked, please forgive me. I did some searches and went through some posts, but there are so many of them that I only went back so far before I stopped.

Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:11 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been to trips to Hong Kong, Singapore and Bangkok. I would recommend going to Bangkok and you can of course also combine it with a few days in the north of Thailand...or in the south on the becahes In fact you can also combine it with the Maldives as Bangkok Airways has started flying to the Maldives from Bangkok

Why Bangkok? Well, to me Bangkok is just facinating...a strange mix of smells ranging from food to traffic, beautiful temples next to small houses along the river that looks like they are about to collaps, street vendors selling bugs for snacks....well, it is just very different from what I'm used to here in Norway. I have posted a couple of trip reports with some pictures om my homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can get some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any question or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gard,

Thank you for your reply! I have been on your website several times and I loved reading about your trips and seeing your pictures! I forwarded your website to my husband a few months ago and he to was jealous by all the places you and your wife have been!

Bangkok sounds like a fascinating place. We picked up a book about it recently and the pictures were wonderful. Is it possible to do Bangkok and another city in the amount of time we have available?

Thanks!
Tracy
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:47 PM

We did Bangkok as part of a cruise a couple of years ago. We may in the minority, but I didn't like it. I was uncomfortable, hot, and had difficulty breathing. Pollution was invented there. I'm not saying you shouldn't go there, but that's how we felt.

Have been to Singapore many times. It's a really "safe" way to introduce yourselves to Asia, even though it's SE Asia. While some feel the city is too strict, it make visiting it quite a pleasure. No worries about the water, ice or any food. You can eat most any kind of food you want, or try some new types. Seafood is a major food, but so is pork and chicken as well as beef. English is the common language and transportation is wonderful.

Some might say that Singapore isn't vary adventurous, but I feel it may be good way to get a feel of the many different Asian cultures and become more comfortable with them.

The flight is long, but what isn't to Asia.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

bobbiergs, thank you for your post. Your thoughts on Singapore were exactly the reason why we considered going there. It seems a little "easier", if that makes sense, to get a feel for some of the Asian culture. SE Asia was basically where we were considering, although we are open. And yes, the flights are very long! If only I could afford the Raffles class on Singapore Air...I could turn the seat into a bed and sleep!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 02:44 PM

I would also think about your budget. Thailand is much cheaper than HK or S'pore and it is possible to have a more luxurious holiday in Thailand for less than your other choices. Thailand, IMO, is cheaper in every respect - hotels, eating out, shopping. Re eating - my husband is vegetarian and lived there for 1.5 years and had no problem. All restaurants were very acco. You are right - all these cities are gastronomically a delight to explore tho obv HK has the most Chinese food and Bkk the best Thai!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:24 PM

Hong Kong + Bangkok + Phuket + Singapore

With about 4-5 nights in each destination would probably make a nice introduction to Asia. This is a fairly standard trip that most agents could easily supply.

Alternatively, for a little bit more colour (I find Singapore a tad bland, nice, safe et cetera) but still suitable for first timers

Hong Kong + Bangkok + Chiang Mai + Koh Samui.

Don't be put off Bangkok by its sometimes seedy reputation - the city has a wealth of things to do for the first time visitor, and the naughty bits can easily be avoided.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

Just realised you only have 10 nights.

Consider 3 nights in Bangkok, 3 nights in Chiang Mai and 4 nights in Phuket / Koh Samui

This will be entirely based around Thailand, so you wont waste time on long international flights with all the fuss over immigration etc.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 03:38 PM

With just ten nights, don't try for more than two (close to each other) locations. I'd recommend a combination of Bangkok and either the Golden Triangle (you fly into Chaing Rai) or a beach location in Thailand. Intra-Thailand flights are pretty inexpensive (especially compared with intra-Europe or within US flights). There are wonderful places to stay for good prices.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 04:33 PM

My suggestion would be for 10 days..Singapore and Phuket...That will break you in gently and if you like it (and I am sure you will)..You will probably start planning another trip to more adventurous places in S.E. Asia for a later trip...I wouldn't cram to many places together in 10 days, as you won't want to spend your entire vacation on the airplane!! But what ever you chose, and it is definately a personal decision, I hope you have a great time!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:11 PM

If you can fly from Newark to Singapore, you can fly on Singapore Air on their Executive Economy. That would give you leg rests, in seat entertainment, food and the Singapore touch. Flight is non-stop so even at 18 hours is much shorter than one or two stops. Price is reasonable too.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:18 PM

everyone has given you great ideas...first of all...all the locations you have mentioned have food that you will and can eat...lots of variety and lots of western foods as well...there is lots of chicken, pork and beef and loads of veggies....about the only thing that you rarely see, although you see some, is cheese...desserts are both eastern and western with lots of fruit...both the familiar fruits and the new exotic asian varieties...so food is no problem in bangkok, singapore or hong kong...

i personally find singapore to be very antiseptic and a bit boring....plus it is very small...

hong kong is unbelievable, almost overwhelming, but fascinating...never dull and lots to do...it is more expensive than bangkok but not as expensive as singapore, although some would say sing. is cheaper...

bangkok is my most favorite and in many ways it can be quite western in character....it all depends on where you go in the city...it would be my choice for you....

where do you live that also makes some difference???

does you 10 days include travel time too? if so then you really only have 7 days....in that case i would probably just stay in the core city and take a couple of outside the city tours...one week is perfect to get to know each of these cities...

picking hotels is very important in both HK and Bkk....it is less important in sing. as most hotels there are quite nice...not so in the other places....

if you pick a western chain hotel in any of these cities (hilton, marriott, etc) you will ease yourself into the culture more easily...you come home each nite to something that is somewhat familiar....

of course if you pick bangkok i must here put in my usual plug for the bangkok marriott resort and spa on the river....i can hear people hissing in the background....

there is lots to plan and we are more than glad to assist you...narrow down what you want to do and let us help....i was in bangkok this past may and it was quite nice...some rain in the late afternoon or early evening, but nothing to stop you...
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 06:19 PM

i should add that both bkk and sing. will be hot as hell with high humidity 24/7....HK will be not as bad
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM

In May, the weather will be much nicer in Japan. You will find history, culture, sightseeing, beautiful scenery, and lots to take in. Japan is very modern and safe, quite foreign but familiar, too.

Yes, there are a variety of different foods available. I have read that the Japanese consume 20% of the global seafood catch, but you can survive quite well there without seafood. You could try Kobe beef or Hida beef or Yonezawa beef, depending on where you travel.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM

BKK is not for you.. it's a bit hard core. it's what make it so exiciting it's just on the brink.. but reltivly safe.

SIng is good for ya but so would going too your local china town (actualy most china town are pretty exciting). .. id say find a full tour and maybe chick out japan, HK and take in a resort in bali or thailand..
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:26 PM

First off, wherever is your final choice, trust me, you will eventually find out by yourself that traveling in North and SE Asia is NOT at all difficult. You can most certainly handle it well, as everyone else.

Secondly, to travel that far from home for just 10 days, you would probably want to experience as much as things that are different from those at home. Otherwise, why bother? So I would suggest you ruling out places such as Sungapore or Hong Kong.

Since you have only 10 days, I would say going with an organized tour is perhaps not a bad idea. It could make you spend your time more effectively.

My suggestion is, according to your interests in your first message:

History: China
Culture: Thailand, Indonesia(Bali particular), Myanmar
Scenery: Thailand, Indonesia
Take it easy: Too many choices

So go where you interests are guilding you and don't over concern things such as food, pollution, etc. Nothing of those would stop you from a wonderful exotic cultural experience which I am sure is why you plan to visit that part of the world in the first place.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 11:50 PM

Asia is a big place and each country has its own character. For an introduction limited to just 10 days (including travel and jetlag?) I'd suggest that you choose the place that most intrigues you and one other complementary culture.

You can avoid seafood in most countries (my husband is allergic so I know) except Japan.

History, culture, sightseeing are available just about anywhere, though I would eliminate Singapore because it's just too restricting. For beautiful scenery I'd vote for Bali or Northern Thailand.

My suggestion would be two of the following: Hong Kong, Beijing,
Bali, Bangkok.

I think it would be a mistake to come Asia without experiencing a Chinese culture. Hong Kong is a vibrant, international city that's easy to get around and has a wide range of price options. Beijing has some of the icons of cuture: the greatwall, the forbidden city.

Bangkok is hot, crowded, difficult and utterly fascinating. It takes some patience, but your dollar will go far and the hotels are oasis-like.

Bali is, well, Bali. There's no place like it in the world (expect maybe Italy) for profound natural beauty combined with extensive cultural and artistic opportunities.

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thank you all so much for the wealth of information! I really do appreciate it, and must admit that your comments helped put my mind at ease about going over there.

As far as travel time, I have 10 nights to spend on the actual vacation plus the airfare to and from. I live in St. Louis so unfortunately we do not have a Chinatown, although I have been to several (San Fran, Chicago, etc.) and loved exploring!

A couple of people mentioned tour groups. We have never really been "tour group people" so I honestly never even considered it, but maybe this would be a good option for our first trip?

This weekend we will pick up a couple of guidebooks and, using the information given me from here as well, we will try to narrow our "wishlist" down to 1 or 2 places. Beware: I will probably come back with a bunch of questions to ask!

Thank you again. It's great to get such great feedback and I really do appreciate it.

Tracy
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:24 AM

You are being wise to state and consider your own priorities and needs. I love the excitement of SE Asia and I love travel, but being uncomfortable (for whatever reason) can really spoil a trip.

Singapore is an excellent choice for all the reasons stated. I too find it a bit sterile, but it's a good way to ease into Asia. Singapore is more of a melting pot (mix of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and others) than a place with its own culture, but a very pleasant place.

I would very much recommend Hong Kong as another place to visit. It's one of the easiest places on earth for a tourist: fantastic transportation system, compact urban area, and no language issues in the main tourist areas. Also, you will have no trouble finding plenty of places to eat foods that you're comfortable with, and no trouble finding places to eat where you can experiment just a little if you feel like it.

Thailand is a joy (especially Chiang Mai), and its people are invariably smiling and wonderful, but you might find the food a bit too spicy for your liking. Although language is not that much of an issue in Thailand, transportation (esp in Bangkok) is not nearly as easy as in either Singapore or Hong Kong. I would certainly not recommend Japan to you: it is nearly impossible to avoid seafood in Japan. (Even something as innocuous as a vegetable soup is likely to be made from a fish stock.)
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 08:26 AM

Unless you are loaded forget Japan- just too expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -