Visit Tokyo or not?

Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:16 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit Tokyo or not?

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Japan next year. So far the itinerary is Kyoto centric. Not sure if we should include Tokyo in the itinerary.

We are planning to stay at an onsen in Hakone, so wondering if this leg would be easier if we travelled from Tokyo? Are there any major sights or attractions in and around Tokyo that you would say are 'not to be missed' ?

Thanks
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:58 PM

I would feel remiss if I didn't visit Tokyo on my trips to Japan. Shinjuku, Roppongi at night, Ameyokocho street market, Shibuya and on and on and on. Do a search on trip reports on Tokyo. See here for detailed information about Tokyo and see if it appeals to you.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html

Aloha!
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I do like Tokyo and I have visited the city many times. Granted, not everybody does like the city. I can't imagine visiting Japan and not going to Tokyo. I'd read a guidebook/trip reports about Tokyo and see what appeals to you. Also, you can fly to KIX and then fly out of NRT so you don't have to return to KIX to depart Japan.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 12:15 AM

Depends on how much time you have and when you travel.

Both Tokyo and Kyoto are the standard stops for first-time visitors to Japan.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi,

My husband too is quite keen on spending at least a day in Tokyo, so that is what we plan to do.

Given the limited time, what are the top 2 things that you would recommend? Something that might be fun for our 5 yr old child (no Disneyland please!) or something of old Japan (other than temples which we will see plenty in Kyoto).

Thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Tokyo is an amazing city, but I would skip it if you are short on time as it takes a while to figure out how to navigate around the place. Save it for your next trip unless you are willing to devote at least three days.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM

Hi

My wife and I did both Tokyo and Kyoto a few years back and it was fun to visit Tokyo even if it hasn't got that many typical tourist attractions. But it was still fun to just check out the different parts of the city, looking at people, visiting parks etc. You can check out my trip reports on http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm . Maybe that will give you guys an idea of what to expect Have a great trip and get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 04:21 AM

I think what to see in Tokyo heavily depends on who you are and what you are interested in. If you are young and/or are looking for a party, bars and dance clubs in Shinjuku/Roppongi will be must-sees. If you are older or are looking for cultural experiences, temples and shrines will be must-sees. Tokyo Disneyland is currently the most popular attraction among Asian tourists. If you are a young woman, you may want to go shopping in Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, etc. If you are interested in art, you may want to see Kabuki or to visit museums. Ghibli Museum is a must-see for those people who love Mr. Miyazaki’s movies, etc., etc.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 04:22 AM

A good book about Tokyo's top 25 is: Fodor's Tokyo's best. Its got a good map too
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 06:16 AM

Tokyo's good for two solid days, imo.
Old Oct 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM

Tokyo is new Japan. There is an Edo museum there.

But at the link that ht gave, it does identify Asakusa as a "district with an atmosphere of old Tokyo". The link explains.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM
kdd
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thanks very much for your input. I have been reading up on Tokyo and have discovered that it is a very interesting place indeed.
For the 1 day in Tokyo I am thinking of roughly following the Frommer's one day itinerary. So a river cruise followed by Asakusa, then either Ginza or Shibuya in the afternoon and maybe catch one act at the Kabuki-za in the evening. Would this be too much for 1 day?

Day 2, we have the option of continuing sightseeing in Tokyo or do a day trip to Hakone. Not sure what we should do, so leaving it open for the time being. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 04:54 AM

Do the Tsukiji(?) fish market in the a.m. and then all the other popular parts of the city. Do Hakone if you need to get out of the city.
Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM

Hai, Tsukiji des.

Hama Rikyu Garden is a short walk from Tsukiji, so you can visit the market, the garden, and then take the boat up to Asakusa.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM

You have to do Tokyo! It's definitely a one of a kind city and should not be missed. If you start with Tsukiji in the morning, it's not far to get to Kabukiza and you can buy tickets to one act or all of a show--totally amazing. Shinjuku is great at night.

More info and pics from our recent trip at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM

I just looked at some of your Japan photos. Really great; I'll look at more later, running out time now.

I am wondering ... did you two stay at the Dersaadet Hotel in Istanbul? I booked based on a report and photos by a couple and I wonder if it is you two adventurous souls. I loved the hotel and neighborhood.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 01:41 AM

Yes--we did stay at Dersaadet and blogged about it Glad you enjoyed it as well!
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM

> If you start with Tsukiji in the morning, it's not far to get to Kabukiza and you can buy tickets to one act or all of a show ..

Kabukiza will close with last performance at the end of April 2010 for re-construction. Re-opening is supposed to be in 2013. Just in case OP is travelling after April 2010.