Current events in Tokyo

Search

Current events in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current events in Tokyo

Does anyone know if there are any special events happening at the end of May through first half of June in Tokyo? Looking for festivals, fireworks, expos, etc. Are there any big sales going on at the big department stores in Ginza or Shinjuku? I'm taking my daughter to enroll her in school in Tokyo, stay a couple weeks before returning home.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:22 AM

The world expo in Nagoya is scheduled to end in Sep. The entrance and Shinkansen ticket is about JPY18,000 for an adult.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:41 AM

Bonjour Offlady,

You may want to look at the daylies in english, for example
- Japan Times: www.japantimes.co.jp
- Mainichi: http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/department/index.html

This site on Tokyo: http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/index_en.htm

This one on Japan but with some pages on Tokyo: http://www.tcvb.or.jp/en/index_en.htm (look at Nipponia back numbers and Tokyo past and present)

This should keep you busy for at least a few days ;-)
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:14 AM
emd

offlady: I recall that you were looking for a school for your daughter last fall. May I ask how the search went and were she is ending up? My son wants to study in Japan (he is set on Tokyo)for a year in college, and we talked to a few American families while traveling who had children in schools in Tokyo and Nagoya.

A good site I have used for festivals in general is http://japanvisitor.com/jc/may_fest.html

In place of "may" just insert whatever other month you want. This wil bring up festivals in other areas also, but will give you a chance to see what is happening in areas surrounding Tokyo. For instance, on May 28 there is a festival involving sumo rituals and other things at Jyozen-ji temple in Odawara, and June 1-2 is a big festical at the port in Yokohama. Both are short distances outside of Tokyo.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I have enrolled my daughter in a regular public school just for the summer months to help her assimilate and get comfortable with the language and culture. She wanted to attend a whole school year, but then she'd miss her graduating year back home. She can check on the anime/manga schools while she's there.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:42 AM
emd

Good luck to her! Have a great time. We loved Tokyo and could have stayed much longer than 5 days.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:42 PM

This weekend (2-3 April) there's the 32nd Tokyo Motorcycle Show (entrace JPY1,500 for adults) and the Tokyo Anime Show (JPY1,000 for adults). Both are at Tokyo Big Sight.