Visa debate..please tell me

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Posts: n/a
Visa debate..please tell me

My travel partner and I are going to China in March with a return on the 22nd. The travel visa application says to send in 30 prior to departure.
Is there any reason why we can't send it in earlier as the visa is good for 90 days, no? We would be back long before the 90 period ends even is we request it now.
I'd like to send it in so that I may have time to resolve any issues that may arise (not that I am expecting any, but, why wait?).
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 10:57 AM
Posts: n/a

Read all about it:

Which says:
"Generally, a visa is valid for three months from the date of issue. Please apply for your visa no more than three months, no later than thirty days before the planned date of departure to avoid expiration of the visa."
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Posts: n/a
Thanks, Bill
I appreciate you posting that link and answering my question.
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Posts: n/a
I believe the 3 month issue. is the window of time in which you can enter the county..Once in you can be there leagaly for the alloted time given on your tourist. busines etc visa..

I really hope I'm correct or I'm going too have some problems with my 60 day thai visa..
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Posts: n/a

Problems like not being allowed to board your outbound flight.
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Peter N-H
Posts: n/a
The Thai visa is neither here nor there for the Chinese issue, nor vice versa.

Chinese visas carry two different kinds of wordings. One tells you the number of entries the visa allows you, the duration of each stay, and the date before which you must enter, typically 60 days from the date of issue of the visa. Even if you enter on the 59th day you may stay for the full duration permitted. Unless you make a specific request otherwise (for up to a maximum of three months), or unless you apply in Hong Kong (where all tourist visas are valid for three months stays), such visas are usually valid for only a one month stay.

However, it is more common now to be issued a visa which is valid for three months from the date of issue (as the Web site quoted suggests--although Web sites from different embassies do not necessarily agree), and if you leave it two months and three weeks before you enter, will only give you a week or so in China.

Visa extensions used to be easily purchased in China, up to a maximum of three, each with a maximum validity of 30 days. Now only one extension is possible, and again only of 30 days.

Peter N-H
Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Posts: n/a

I did make the assumption that Sylvia would be using a U.S. passport. That website is for the PRC embassy in the U.S.

Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jul 15th, 2018 10:28 PM
Apr 13th, 2013 05:18 AM
Feb 22nd, 2008 02:57 PM
Mexico & Central America
Sep 19th, 2005 05:18 PM
Dec 17th, 2002 10:44 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -