Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

vietnam-laos-south thailand itinerary - comments pls

Jul 10th, 2005, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

After a great trip to northern thailand and angkor in dec 2003, we are planning another trip to se asia. (On our last trip, we didn't get to Sukhothai or Ayuthaya, so we've added those in here on our way south.) Any help/comments are welcomed and much appreciated!

12-Dec-05 Saigon (Cathay-morning arrival)(o/n saigon)
13-Dec-05 Saigon (o/n saigon)
14-Dec-05 Saigon - Danang - Hoi An (o/n danang)
15-Dec-05 Danang - Hue (o/n Hue)
16-Dec-05 Hue, then o/n Hanoi
17-Dec-05 Hanoi - Halong - 1/2 day Hanoi, then to Halong (o/n in Halong)
18-Dec-05 Halong - Boat trip Halong Bay; Halong back to Hanoi. By o/n train to Lao Cai (departs at 2200 pm)
19-Dec-05 Lao Cai - Sa Pa (o/n Sa Pa)
20-Dec-05 Sa Pa - o/n train Lao Cai back to
Hanoi
22-Dec-05 Hanoi - Vientiane - Luang Prabang (flights)(o/n Luang Prabang)
23-Dec-05 Luang Prabang
24-Dec-05 Luang Prabang
25-Dec-05 Luang Prabang - fly to Chiang Mai. Car to Sukhothai (o/n sukhothai)
26-Dec-05 Sukhothai-Lopburi via Phitsanuloke (o/n in Lopburi)
27-Dec-05 Lopburi Ayuthaya - fly from Bangkok to Phuket (o/n Phuket)
28-Dec-05 Khao Sok
29-Dec-05 Khao Sok
30-Dec-05 Khao Sok - Phuket (o/n Phuket)
31-Dec-05 Pjuket (o/n)
1-Jan-06 Phuket (evening flight to Bangkok-o/n Bangkok)
2-Jan-06 BKK-Hong Kong (Cathay)- free week in HK (maybe stay at the Y?)

Jul 10th, 2005, 06:17 AM

You will be doing a lot of flying, but you will be gone for a few weeks which is good. I wouldn't spend a night in Danang, nothing really there other than the Cham museum, which you can do in a couple of hours. You also need more time in Hoi An and Hue, you should be spending at least 2-3 nights in each. You should also spend 3-4 nights in Hanoi. You're going back and forth too much from what I can see. I'm getting confused just reading your itinerary, I can't imagine living it!

Only one night in Bangkok???? Bangkok is wonderful, you should be spending about 5 nights there. If I were you, I would cut time off of some other places and stay in bkk longer. Perhaps cut out Lopburi, Ayutthaya and/or Khao Sok. You are trying to pack in way too much and you will be exhausted and everything will be a blur.

I also don't think you need a week in Hong Kong. 3-4 nights is enough. After you've finished shopping and eating and seeing the few sights, there won't be much left to do. HK is also very expensive whereas bkk is very inexpensive. You can stay in lux hotels in bkk for half of what it will cost in HK and food will be much cheaper (and better imho) as well.
Jul 10th, 2005, 06:57 AM

I agree with Laurie that 1 night in Bkk does not achieve much. I would say tho that if your time in Bkk last trip was sufficient for you think of flying directly from Phuket to HK. There is a flight. HK is a fascinating city and I am sure you will find loads to do. You can also consider a night in Macau while here.

We spent a couple nights in Vientiane in 2003. While it is not a "must do" seeing as you transit thru there you could consider a night there. The Settha Palace Hotel (www.setthapalace.com), Papaya Spa (www.papayaspa.com - one of my favs in Asia!) and Carol Cassidy's original showroom (www.laotextiles.com) and factory make it fun for 1 night.
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:13 AM

A couple of things -- Not nearly enough time in Hanoi which is a wonderful city. I'd add at least two days there. Have you been to Guilin? If so you could skip halong bay. The trip to Sa Pa is long and since you have already been to northern thailand I'd say to skip it. It's a lot of travel for not much time and the trains are not all that fabulous. Use the time in Hanoi.

The drive from Chiang Mai to Sukhothai is very long. You would be better off flying to Mae Sot if possible.

I would skip the drive to Lopburi. Stay in Sukothai for one or two and then fly to Bangkok where you can do Ayuthaya as a day trip.

I'd cut one day off south thailand and use it for Bangkok.

And to be honest, since you've seen Angkor the Thai ruins (while interesting) won't compare so spending days driving to get to them I don't think is worth it.
Jul 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Just saw the week in Hong Kong. Definitely no more than 3-4 days tops. Use the time in Vietnam which is a fascinating country and which you are zipping through. Add time to Hanoi and Hue and Hoi An and perhaps add Nha Trang which is lovely or Dalat.