Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

1st time to SE Asia - Need Itinerary Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Dana

My husband and I are planning our first trip to SE Asia (actually first time to anywhere in Asia) this August. Unfortunately, we only have 19 days for the trip. We are interested in getting a good mix of culture, outdoors activity/natural beauty, and a little luxury beach time toward the end of the trip. We are less interested in nightlife.<BR><BR>We definitely want to spend time in Vietnam and are trying to decide between Bali & Thailand for the second part of the trip.<BR><BR>Vietnam: How many days should we dedicate to Vietnam? I am interested in seeing Hanoi, Halong Bay, Sopa, and Hue. How much time will it take to get around between these cities?<BR><BR>Bali or Thailand: In Bali, we would do Jimbaran Beach & Ubud. In Thailand, we were thinking about Koh Samui (or the least commercialized, most luxurious beach we can find - I know these two characteristics are typically trade-offs) and either Bangkok or Chang Mai. What is the better choice given that we would like to find the best combination of a luxury resort in a more traditional, natural beach setting?<BR><BR>We were also thinking about doing a couple days in Hong Kong if we have a stopover there anyway.<BR><BR>Can anyone help us figure out our itinerary? Any other advice on places we must see or how to allocate our time?<BR><BR>I really appreciate your advice,<BR>Dana

Old Apr 27th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Kristina

Hi-<BR>Do you have 19 days after you arrive and before you leave? If not, subtract at least 2 days travel time.<BR>I think Vietnam, Thailand or Bali and maybe Hong Kong is a bit ambitious for your amount of time.<BR>For Vietnam, you could easily spend all your time there. Don't underestimate the time or distance between cities. <BR>In Thailand, you could easily spend all your time there as well. Ko Samui is very commercialized, but if you want a luxe hotel, it's an easy flight from Bangkok. If you don't fly, it's a full day's trip from Bangkok. I think both Bangkok and Chiang Mai deserve at least a few days each. The train up to Chiang Mai is 12 hours overnight or it's a few hours to fly.<BR>Bali is also a magical place a worth a trip but you will lose at least half a day in travel time getting there from Vietnam or Bangkok.<BR>If you really can fit in Hong Kong, go for it, but you will just be losing days elsewhere.<BR>If it were me, I would confine myself to Vietnam and/or Thailand and maybe a 2 day stopover in H.K. I'd save Bali for another trip. Given that, if you go to all those places in Vietnam you probably won't have time for Ko Samui, Chiang Mai and Bangkok.<BR>If you fly between cities, you will save a considerable amount of time, but spend more $$. But consider this; every time you fly it will be an hour to the airport, a few hour flight, and an hour to your hotel; essentially 1/2 a day lost each time.<BR>My advice; go! Have fun! But slow it down.

Old Apr 28th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Jen

I have to agree with Kristina, even while not being familiar with your possible destinations (I'm the resident expert on Malaysia, but haven't set foot on any other Asian country aside from airport stops).<BR><BR>It's easy to look at a map of Asia and think "wow, everything looks so close together" but Vietnam to Bali is a long flight - I'm guessing 7 hours at least, depending on where you depart from and whether you stop/change planes somewhere along the way. You're looking at losing virtually a whole day en route in each direction. If I were you, I'd stick to Vietnam (seems to be your priority) and then if you can manage to see everything you want to see there, maybe add a few days somewhere resorty in Northern Thailand (or anywhere not too far away) and skip Bangkok or Chiang Mai (you won't have time to give them justice anyway). And even then I think you'd probably have to choose between the resort and a stopover in HK. 19 days is not very long, especially if you haven't knocked off flying time from that. And you need to account for a bit of jet lag, too - nobody wants to rush around sight-seeing when they're in a complete daze! The first day or two, for me anyway, are always very slow-moving ones.<BR><BR>I did a whirlwind tour of Europe long ago and I have to say it is exhausting moving from place to place every day or two, and disappointing to get home with my memories all a blur. Slow down. You can always return to Asia another time.

Old May 4th, 2002, 06:32 AM
piggy

Hi Dana<BR><BR>You might want to do indochina. In that way, you economize on travelling time iwthout having to spread yourself too thin and you cover an area which share many thigns in common. IN that way, you can probably juxtapose each country's experience.

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:43 AM
liz

Hi Dana,<BR>I will also be going to VN and Thailand and possibly HK for the whole month of July. I plan on staying in VN for at least 2 weeks. I have not booked anything yet but my parents and a few friends went back recently and will tell me the exact places to hit. If you have any specific questions do not hesistate to email me.

Old May 5th, 2002, 10:13 PM
Lucy

If you do decide to keep this trip to just Vietnam then the 5 star Furama resort at China Beach looks very luxurious - I'm considering it myself for a trip to Vietnam later this year.<BR>Heres the web site: www.furamavietnam.com<BR>cheers!

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Peter

Hi Dana,<BR><BR>We are South East Asia experts for 20 years. Yes you can do plenty in 19 days. Call us and we'll discuss it. We'll help you no worries. It is hard to do this part of the world by yourself. Must have some help.<BR><BR>1-800-611 7783 or 1-800-977 BALI<BR>We look forward to helping you .<BR><BR>

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:48 AM
Sarah Rey

Dana, you have not told us where you are from? I am guessing maybe USA?<BR>Thailand and Vietnam are easy to fly between, Bali is a great deal further. Although it is pleasant in its own way you can find a great deal similar without having to stretch too far.<BR>Malayisa Airlines has been promoting a $747 Asia pass, very interesting. Although distances down to say Bali are great, other distances are short, examplesBR>Ho Chi Min City(Saigon)-Bangkok: 1hr 20<BR>Bangkok-Angkor Wat: 50 mins<BR>Bangkok-Chiang Mai: 1 hr 5 <BR>Bangkok-Koh Samui: 1 hr 10<BR>Hong Kong-Singapore: 3 hrs 40<BR>Cathay Pacific also do an Asia pass.<BR>Check for a United/Thai deal, they are both part of Star Alliance and combined they cover most places.<BR>In Thailand you can find beaches, islands, jungle, ancient cities, culture, eco-tourism.<BR>Check Bangkok Airways site as they do flights linking 'all' the main heritage sites of South East Asia including Cambodia and Vietnam, also I suggest maybe a call to the agent who posted earlier might be worthwhile to help.

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Kathie

Personally, I find it a bit offensive when travel agents post on this site to advertise their services, but others may find it helpful.<BR><BR>Of course any travel agent (or you yourself) could get you to all those places in just 19 days, but that's probably not your question. I expect you want to know whether you would get an enjoyable vacation in all of those places in just 19 days. Remember that every time you have to take a flight you eat up most of the day, even if it is a short flight. Do you really want to spend your vacation at the airport? As others have noted you'll cut down on your flying time by combining Thailand with VN and save Bali for another trip.