Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections - can I please get your thoughts?

Search

Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam hotel selections - can I please get your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi again,

I've done a bit of work over the past few days on getting reservations in place for our (me and the husband) southeast Asia trip coming up in Feb.

We knew we'd go with chain, bigger and non-local hotels for the big cities, but wanted to stay at local places with a lot of local atmosphere for the others.

Below are the accommodations we've booked, and I'd love to get some thoughts from all you knowledgable and avid Asia travelers.

Hong Kong - 2 nights. Mandarin Oriental (I'm meeting my hubby there while he's on business, so the stay is on company dollar).

Bangkok - 2 nights. Currently booked at the Plaza Athenee through SPG points, but I'm wondering if we should switch to the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Pros and cons of both?

Chiang Mai - 3 nights. Booked at Baan Orapin in a 1 BR suite. I found it odd that they wouldn't take a deposit, nor would they give a confirmation/reservation number. But maybe that's just me being a westerner

Siem Reap - 3 nights. I'm struggling with this one. While I know Hotel de la Paix is overpriced and more 'modern' rather than 'charming', it seems to get rave reviews. I'm also contemplating the following places: Heritage Suites, Shinta Mani, Victoria Angkor, Journeys Within, and Hanuman Alaya. I feel like I looked into 2 dozen places, and these I highlighted as most appealing to me. Any thoughts would be wonderful.

Hoi An - 2 nights. Booked at Ha An in a deluxe garden view room. A little nervous about this because of some reviews stating that they are unreliable, but I found there to be VERY slim pickin's in Hoi An. Thoughts? I personally wouldn't mind staying somewhere like Life or Victoria Resort, but my husband felt it looked like a "Jamaican or Caribbean resort and we wouldn't know we were in Vietnam", so Ha An we went. If you can convince me otherwise on the resorts, I just might switch Ha An out.

Hanoi - 1 night. Booked at Hanoi Elegance 2 in a junior suite.

Halong Bay - 2 nights. Booked on the Halong Jasmine.

Hanoi - 1 night. Booked again at the Hanoi Elegance 2 in a junior suite.

And that's it. Thank you very much in advance for your input.

Best,
BostonGal
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:12 AM

the sheraton orchid is an older hotel....its advantages are that it is on the river (a preferable location) and next to a nice small mall...their pool is the 2nd nicest in bkk and there is good transportation from the hotel....that said i would stay almost any place else in bkk...

the plaza anthanee is a newer hotel (read: better) in a central location near to lots of shopping. we loved our one nite stay there in june, '08. i would return in a flash if i wanted to stay in that part of the city...you can't beat the points and cash deal...

my overall favorites are the peninsula and the marriott resort and spa, both on the river...

the penn is especially nice but expensive for bkk, but would be twice the price or 3X the price in boston---think liberty hotel...
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:17 AM

btw, two nites on halong bay seems like a long time....i'd rather have an additional day in hanoi...

the sofitel is another nice place in SR....de la paix gets good marks from most fodorites...
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM

I did not post on the other thread where everyone said that you were attempting too much but I can assure you that I agree with them even though you have cut back slightly.

That being said, here are my comments...

For your one full day in Bangkok (which is about what you get when you are only there for 2 nights), if you want to see the Grand Palace, Jim Thompson House and temples, get yourself a driver for the day. There are a number of them mentioned on this forum - Ratt, Cherry, Julie's Taxi, Tong etc. My favorite hotel is the Peninsula (which is on the river) but I've stayed at the Plaza Athenee and its quite nice. Most first-timers stay on the river in Bangkok though so the RO Sheraton might be the best choice. Neither is particularly well situated for what you want to do.

I haven't been to Chiang Mai since 2000 so I will let others comment. 3 nights sounds like a long time to stay there though - spend the extra night in Bangkok.

We loved the Hotel de la Paix in Siem Reap. It has a fairly good location in town and has a great restaurant. The other hotels you mention, while good, are not in the same league.

We are visiting northern Vietnam next April. We will have 6 full days in Hanoi but just an overnight on the Valentine on Halong Bay (we will also be spending a few days in Sapa). It is the consensus on this forum that 2 nights on Halong Bay is too much. You will have very little time at all to experience Hanoi. I would skip Hoi An this trip.

On the other hand you could do as planned. Like the others, I would very much get a kick out of seeing a trip report from you when you return.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM

I forgot to say that we are staying at the Sofitel Metropole in Hanoi. The Hanoi Elegance 2 has received good reviews though and it is well-situated.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 06:59 PM

The Mandarin Oriental is an excellent hotel, really one of the best in the world and I am certain you will enjoy it, and even better that you are not paying for it. It has an excellent location as well for sightseeing. Try to get a harbour view room if you can, otherwise try for a room on the Chater Garden side of the hotel, which will be partial harbour view. The hotel has two styles of room, one is a somewhat masculine wool/rattan room done in tans and creams called the “Tai Pan”, and the other is a bit lighter in green and white and more feminine style called the “Verandah”, this latter style room has a very nice sitting area at the window with a nice chaise lounge and which IMO gives the room a larger feel. Rooms are a bit tight space-wise with a lot of furniture in them, but quite plush. The electronic gizmos in the room are really something, they are the only hotel in Hong Kong with HDTV. They have a very nice spa, you might want to make a booking, and a good gym and a small indoor pool. (No nautilus or other weight equipment in the gym or than some free weights as they use the Kinesis system, but do have lots of treadmills and elliptical.) Their cake shop is something, go see their cakes which are baking and engineering marvels, and is a good place for lunch if you are by yourself. February is usually a little bit gray, cool and often foggy here, but you will find plenty to do to amuse yourself.

If you want to get out into nature (I have seen you other posts), you will have some fine opportunities in Hong Kong, weather notwithstanding. We have little rain that month, so some fog should not deter you, and at least it is not hot like it will be starting from April. Head out either toward the Southside of Hong Kong Island or to the New Territories or Lantau. Depends on how steep you want your hills and how many herds of wild cattle you can comfortably encounter on your own (if the answer is none, avoid some Lantau trails, like #5 of the Lantau Trail). Ma Poi nature reserve (marsh and birds) or Hoi Hai Wan (marine park) see http://www.wwf.org.hk/eng/maipo/ and http://www.afcd.gov.hk/english/count...s/cou_vis.html may also be of interest to you; not sure if pink dolphins will be in the estuary in February, but see http://www.hkdolphinwatch.com to determine if a boat trip would be worth your very short time here. Walled Chinese villages can be found in the New Territories with ancestral clan halls and temples. If you think Hong Kong is all skyscrapers and shopping, you have been sadly misinformed or are reading the wrong guidebooks, strap on you hiking boots and get out there.

For Bangkok I really prefer to be on the river, but I am with rhkkmk in that I am not a big fan of the Royal Orchid. If you have to choose one due to points, I guess I would take the Royal Orchid over the Athenee due to location. But have you looked at the Marriott Resort? Or at higher prices the Penn or the Oriental or even the Shangri La? The Hilton on the river is also nice, I have not seen the rooms, but like the public areas. I just find the river so peaceful and scenic and also convenient in terms of getting to things along the river and avoiding traffic. I would encourage you to check prices at all these places, with recent events in Thailand and the economic downturn, you may find prices for Feb to be lower than you think.

I do find it odd that they did not take a deposit at the Baan Orapin, esp as their website indicates that they <i>require one</i>. (I don’t know the hotel, so I looked it up.) Did they take a credit card number from you? If so, then I would have less worries. But at least bring the printed e-mail or fax that has your confirmation details.

If it makes you feel better, the Mandarin is actually what you might consider a “local” hotel, in that it has been owner-operated by the same local company since its opening many decades ago. The Hotel de la Paix, by contrast, while owned by a Cambodian, is not locally operated, it is managed by BMC Management Corporation, an international management company headquartered in Bangkok run by an American which manages several hotels in SE Asia. The Royal Orchid Bangkok is owned by a Thai company and operated by Sheraton, so that is just as “local”, you could say. The Marriott Resort is owned by an American who has lived in Thailand since the 19060s and is now a Thai citizen and he operates it himself thorugh a franchise, so perhaps that is the most “local” of the biggies (but there are European and Americans on his staff too). But it can become kind of meaningless after a point, really. Pick what you like for location and price and room size and amenities and go with it.

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM

De La Paix in Siem Reap is just great. Get a suite if you go there - but I can tell you don't like the style. But, if you want to get REALLY creative then look here:

www.theonehotelangkor.com
www.hotelbeangkor.com

You want 'local places with a lot of local atmosphere'? Dogster has just given you the BEST. Right in the middle of everything.

It's a Dogster Secret Treasure. Don't tell anybody. If interested read 'Dogster: Live from Siem Reap.'for more.

I will accept a small commission and effusive thanks when you return. I'll bask in a heavenly Boy Scout glow knowing that I have helped in some small way. I shall give the Dogster Good Deed Award - to myself.

Don't let me down Boston!
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 01:45 AM

We depart next week. We stay at The Oriental or the Pen and love them both. I personally prefer the river.

We will also be visiting Siem Reap at the Shinta Mani and in Hanoi we are at Hotel Elegance 3 and sailing the Jasmine. Write me after 7-Jan if you want feedback ([email protected])
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses, they are most appreciated.

We will have 2 full days in Bangkok, as we are arriving very early from Hong Kong. We're going to stay with the Athenee, since we're able to use points. I think we'll enjoy that more than the ROS.

Craig - we have 3 nights in Chaing Mai as we are trying our best to do a one night stay at the Elephant Conservation Center.

Cicerone, thank you so much for taking the time to give me detailed info on HK, and the activities we would be interested in. Since I am going there pretty much to meet up with my husband and recover from jet lag, I'm not sure we'll have time, but I will definitely look into those links in more detail.

dogster, OH MY. Those places look divine. I'm definitely checking them out in more detail tonight. Thank you for passing those along!

Shell - I will definitely be asking you about the Jasmine! Have a wonderful trip!

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:48 AM

BostonGal - to make the best use of your first &quot;full&quot; day in Bangkok, have your driver for the day pick you up at the airport. If you arrive on time on the first flight of the day, it will be 9:40 AM. With time for immigration, etc. + 1/2 hour or more to drive into the city, you should arrive there ready to sitesee at about 11 AM. Save the Grand Palace for your 2nd day and go when it opens at 8:30 AM to avoid the crowds and the heat.

I neglected to mention in my previous post that 3 nights in Siem Reap will give you 2 full days. If you use a guide (recommended) they will want to break for the 3-4 hours in the middle of the day when the heat is at its worst - do factor that into your planning. Hotel de la Paix has a nice uncrowded pool with lots of shade which you would enjoy using during the break.

Old Dec 11th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reminder on the breaking midday in Siem Reap. I've noted it on my documents and will plan accordingly.

and yes, we were hoping to get to the Grand Palace first thing in the morning.

I love that planning for these trips is nearly as rewarding (to me, anyway) as the trips themselves. I live for the research and figuring things out. Then I live for throwing my plans/itin out the window and follow whatever path I feel like heading down once I arrive.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 10:18 AM

On Baan Orapin - we didn't pay a deposit either and had no probs. It is family run - I guess they work on trust and that works for them. As for a reservation no. - I don't think there is an electronic reservation system which would issue such a number - it is a small place although incredibly well run. If you have had confirmation from them that you are booked in, take it as said. The owners are lovely - you will not be disappointed I don't think. They are really helpful and it is very relaxing there.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 01:47 PM

If you are SPG, also consider the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit in Bangkok. I think it's the nicest Starwood property there.

And in Siem Reap, Le Meridein Angkor is also a very very nice hotel, and close to the temples.