Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which area to stay in Bangkok and mode of transport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a short 2 day stopover in Bangkok in August.

Can someone suggest which area would be best as a base for sightseeing (temples, palaces) and going to chatuchak market. With so much on offer and various advice on other posts, I'm confused.. Siam Square, Silom, Sukhumvit, Pratunam, Ploenchit or Riverside.

I am female and will be travelling alone so I would like to stay in a safe area. I also don't plan to visit any clubs or night entertainment areas.

My budget is under US$50 and would like to find a place which is easily accessible by the sky-train (considering that I have limited time and don't want to be stuck in traffic). Is travelling by tuk-tuk safe for a single female traveller? Is it true that travelling by boat is faster than by taxi?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:02 PM

With your price range, the Asia hotel might be good. It is right on a skytrain station, which is the fastest way to get around Bangkok.

Tuk tuks are fun to try once, but they are exposed to the elements and don't offer much protection in accidents. I wouldn't use them unless I had to.

If you are going to points along the river, such as from the taksin station of teh skytrain to the Grand Palace, boats are a great method of transport.

Taxis are cheap, have AC. They're great for short trips and good for finishing trips when the skytrain doesn't go all the way. They can be really slow in traffic, and you have to insist on the use of the meter.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:06 PM

We stayed at the Asia hotel.Safe,reasonable price and direct access to the skyrail.Use cabs with meters around town not tuk tuks.Handy to Pratinum but have to go on skyrail to Chatuchak as its out aways. Don.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM

On a low budget the Asia is good and very well situated .It may be a bit faded as it is an old hotel .
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

thank you so much for your replies.. i'm now really looking forward to my Bangkok adventure
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 03:16 AM

if you have a good map you could use the water taxis too get to the major tourist sights .. there is stop near asia hotel..