Uma Paro

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uma Paro

Hi folks -- I'll be in Bhutan in September for 5 days and am staying at Uma Paro. I'm wondering if its worth it to do an overnight trek and stay at a hotel in the mountains? Do you think I'll get bored staying in one hotel for five nights or will day treks make things interesting enough?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to Bhutan and stayed at the Uma Paro?
Old Apr 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM

There has been pretty recent discussion of it on the Flyer Talk Luxury Hotel board.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...highlight=paro

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Hi asykes1,
5 days in Paro is lot.Sight seeing in the whole valley can be done in 2 days.Uma Hotel has a beautiful view of the Paro Valley but 5 days stay there can be monotonous considering the food and inhouse activities.You should consider one day trek in the valley and a day excursion to the Capital city Thimphu (2 hrs).It is worth a drive and you can spend the whole day in Thimphu visiting muesums and sites there.Lunch in town and return in the evening.Thimphu is also the best place for shopping.UmaHotel desk should be able to help you in arrangements.
Good luck!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Hi asykes1,
There are many possible short treks around paro Valley.But note that there are no hotels while trekking in the mountains.(Ofcourse everything in Bhutan are in the mountains....inclucing Uma).You have to camp and put up in a tent.If you are going there in september you might also consider Thimphu since there is an annual festival taking place there.But it depends which dates you are there.
Have fun travelling!
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi guys -- thanks so much for your thoughts. I guess I figured, the first day we arrive is pretty much a write off since there's quite a bit of traveling to get there. Then I was thinking of the following:

Day 1: 1st trek to Zurig Dzong, Rinoung Dzong, Ta Dzong & Paro

Day 2: 2nd Trek to Paro Valley, Takstang Walk, Drukgyel Dzong & Kyichu Lhakhang

Day 3: A day out to Haa Valley with optional Bike Descent

Day 4: Trip to Thimphu

Day 5: Departure

All thoughts welcomed -- thanks guys

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 06:18 AM

Dear asykes1,
Drive to Haa passes through one of the highest motorable road in Bhutan (Chelela at 3800m).It has an awesome view of Bhutan's most scared mountain peak Mt Jomolhari 7314m (also happens to be the second highest mountain in the country) I would advise you to choose a drive there on the best possible day.The only other option for you to see this scared mountain is at the end of the Paro valley as a back drop to Drukgyal Dzong.

Paro valley is at 2250m and your treks will go a bit higher (highest at Taktsang (2850m)excluding the point on the Pass while driving to Haa. So take a note of the altitude.

Your first day of trekking passing all the dzongs (fortress) you have mentioned requires a good light walking shoes (since the trail can be stony).Trek to Taktsang is on hard red clay so you need a good sole grip.

Remember the Ta dzong (museum) is closed on mondays.Do not plan this trek on Mondays.The entire walk takes half a day so you should come up with something to do in the afternoon.

If I were you I would check with the annual festival in Thimphu in september and choose a day to go there which coincides.You could aslo take in account about the weekend market there.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Is it possible to visit Thimptu in a day trip from Uma Paro? Or do we have to stay overnight. It would be ideal to leave early in the morning and return later on, rather than having to relocate. Please let me know whenever you have a moment. thanks!
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:33 AM

Dear asykes1,
sure it is possible to make an excursion to Thimphu.It takes less than 2 hrs drive oneway.It is the shortest drive between 2 towns in Bhutan.Drive there after bfast.Visit Thimphu, have lunch there and return in the late evening.You will not regret it!
Happy travelling
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM

I've read that the weekend market in Thimphu is very colorful and interesting. Perhaps you can schedule your visit for Friday-Sunday.
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Just completing plans for a trip to Bhutan which will be for 11 full days (without the time getting to Asia) with Asia Transpacific. Is this too much time? Also going to Nepal and Tibet which will make it a total of 6 weeks in April/May 2008..Will book airfare next week with American/Cathay using miles to upgrade to Business Class. Any thoughts???? Understand the food is the worst in the world, did you survive on protein bars??
Old May 18th, 2007, 04:18 AM

Dear kiwicottage,
Using term "worst" to address the food in the part of the world where you love travelling is a bit gross.I understand...but its more correct to use a term "different".Besides you are travelling and I thought you were looking for a different experience.
If classy western food is your top priority then Bhutan is a wrong place for you.
Never make a mistake of telling this to a Bhutanese.Speaking your mind out take you nowhere in Bhutan!....The country is just different...even more different than the food!
Have a nice day!