Trip to Thailand

Oct 10th, 2002, 11:15 AM
MJ

Trip to Thailand

Hi,
I am going with a few friends to Thailand for about 2 1/2 weeks in December. Any suggestions as to which islands to go to or places to stay. Would prefer more remote than filled with tourists. Also, how long to stay in Bangkok, have heard mixed reviews.
Also, travel up north, any suggestions or other place that are a must see would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 25th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Missy Nat

I would definitely recommend that you stay at least 2 to 3 days in Bangkok. The attractions that should not be missed are the Emerald Buddha and Grand Palace. You can't see anything like that out of Bkk. If you like shopping, head to the Chatuchat Weekend Market. You get great deals but be prepare for the crowds.

If you want a remote island to go to, I would suggest Kao Chang located near Trat. The island is just starting to develop and there are lots of remote places to stay. Prices are cheap and the island is filled with stunning beaches.
If you are travelling up North, and you are interested in historic sites, I would recommend visiting Sukothai. The best way to get there is to fly. It's fairly inexepnsive and you get there in less than an hour. There are air-conditioned buses that go there, but be prepared for at least a 6 hour bus ride with several stops along the way. If you are visiting Sukothai, a great little guest house to stay at is located right behind the "Dream Cafe" restaurant. It's owned by the same people who own the restaurant. The place is clean and it is run by friendly staff. Plus, the price for the room is reasonable and the food at the cafe is delicious. Hopes all this info helps.

Oct 27th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Howard

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon. We stayed a total of 6 days in Bangkok and I felt it was a couple of days too long. We also spent a week at Koh Samui, which we found touristy but very pleasant overall. The beaches were great, and there was a lot to do.

One warning about Bangkok: It was simply impossible to take a taxi during the day without the driver hassling us to take us to a tailor or a jewelry shop. The drivers are sooo nice, but they'll find a way to try to take you to these places because they get paid if you shop there. One of them asked if we would do him a favor by stopping at a gas station to fill up his tank. We said sure. He thanked us and pulled up to a gem store instead, and claimed he would get gas if we shopped there. He tried this twice and wasted over an hour of our day. With so much traffic in Bangkok, it was frustrating to have to be at the mercy of these taxis. Btw, the Skytrain is REALLY nice. Depending on what you're seeing, you should try this easier mode of transportation.

Oct 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
pjr

I just returned from Thailand, and I would recommend no more than three days. We were there for 2 1/2 and that was plenty long in our opinion. I would also recommend the sky train to get around.

Nov 15th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Darja

I recommend al least 3 days in Bangkok, this is great city. From their you can take daily tour to visit Floating Market, but do not take this tour with a Rose garden. It's not worthy. You have to go to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai up to the border (Golden Triangle). Great ride with speed boat on Mea Kong River. You can take a train from Bangkok is around $42 or you can fly to Chiang Mai for $51 one way, than you can fly from Chiang Mai direct to Phuket and the price is $109. If you need more information or itinerary just let me know.