Conrad in Bangkok

Search

Conrad in Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conrad in Bangkok

Has anyone every stayed at the Conrad in Bangkok? If so, would you recommend? After traveling from Seattle, I'd like to stay in a nice comfortable place for the first few days.

Thanks for the help....J
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

We have 10 full days to spend in Thailand. How many days should we spend in BKK and other locations?

If anyone could recommend an intinerary that'd be great!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM

the conrad is a really nice hotel in a great location....tons of restaurants and shopping nearby and the skytrain is not far and they have a shuttle to it...
make sure that one lunch you have their dim sum on the 3rd floor...

it is one of the newest hotels in bkk...you will be very happy there....much nicer than any seattle hotel by the way....

largely it depends on what you want to do in thailand as to where you go...

let me warn you that you will be quite tired on your first full day....don't plan to do much that day....the heat and humidity will knock you for a loop as well....plan to stay by the pool most of the day and take a trip or two out of the hotel....walk around in the adajacent mall...

you could easily do one other thailand area in your 10 days...like chiang mai or one of the islands---which island will depend on when you are going....generally the west coast islands/areas (phuket, krabi, phi phi) are not good in summer...samui and hua hin however are decent generally in summer and fall...september and early october can be very wet in most of thailand... so you have to decide this first....i can tell you that you will not be bored with the whole time in bkk either....you can take trips outside the city to the floating market or the old capital, north of bkk both of which take mostly a full day...i would reccomend a driver for both of those like ratt who is often mentioned here...in the city you can do everything on your own...

so i would spend the first few days in bkk, then go someplace for say 3-4 days and then return to bkk for the final days....or i would stay all the time in bkk....it depends on what you want from the trip....my second trip i spent the whole 14 days in bkk and loved it....i am embarking on my 7th trip and will spend over 1/2 of my 32 nites in bkk....

ask us as many questions as you wish...we love to assist...make sure you tell us your time frame also...
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:57 PM

A very picky friend of ours stayed at the Conrad on business for over 3 months and he was very happy with it. He had changed hotels several times before being satisfied with the Conrad.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would suggest going up to Chiang Rai and doing a short trip around the Golden Triangle, including a boat ride on the Mekong, and perhaps a day trip into Myanmar, providing the border is open. I liked Chiang Rai better than Chiang Mai but I got deathly sick in Chiang Mai, which may have something to do with it! Bob is right, don't plan on much your first day, just enjoy the hotel and the food. How long you spend in BKK is really a personal preference. We usually stay 5 days or more but BKK is my favorite city in the world and I can never get enough of it. You could easily spend 3 nights in Chiang Rai, do a couple of day trips from there, The Golden Triangle could be one, and you could combine that with a trip to a Hill Tribe, fly to Chiang Mai for 2 nights and still have 5 nights in BKK. You would see alot but it would still be quite relaxing if you hire a driver and guide. It's not very expensive. From BKK you could do a day trips but BKK has so much to offer you could easily just spend all of your time there. If you want beach resort, I agree that Hua Hin is wonderful. We stayed at the Sofitel Central Hua Hin, a very lovely hotel. I'm sure that Bob and others on this forum will have other hotels to tell you about though!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:06 AM

Laurieco, I will be staying at the Sofitel Hua Hin next week. Do you have any tips about the best rooms to request in the hotel and any advice on local restaurants?. Thanks.

I am also visiting Hanoi, Luang Prabang, Chiang Mai and Bangkok so will post a trip report when I get back.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Anna,

I believe we had a standard room, which was beautiful, all teak, with a large balcony. We were on the second floor (there are only 2 floors if I remember correctly) which had a nice view of gardens and the sea. I know that there were more expensive rooms but I thought ours was just fine and didn't feel the need to upgrade. I'm sorry that I can't help you with local restaurants. I was recovering from food poisoning and some sort of parasite that made me sick for a very long time, that is what hit me in Chiang Mai, so we ate at the hotel. The food at the hotel was very good however, if more expensive than on the outside.

Have a great time on your trip. I'm jealous, you're going to my favorite places, except Chiang Mai, but I'll go back and give it another chance and hopefully will stay healthy I'll look forward to your trip report. Laurie
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM

The deluxe wing rooms as the Sofitel are nice. They are in the new wing which is done in a style very similar and in-fitting with the old wing. The pool in the deluxe wing is often very quiet and peaceful during the week