Thailand Suggestions

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Andy

Thailand Suggestions

We are a 50 year old couple going to Thailand for 12 days, Bangkok, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai and Phuket. We have arranged the usual destinations, e.g., Grand Palace, Night market etc. Any suggestions for out-of-the-ordinary sites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Bobo

Try Tamarindtours.com Very unusual exotic customized tours. Private tour guides.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Karen

1. Choose Kata beach in Phuket (nicest beach/ quiet "but not too quiet" atmosphere).

2. With 12 days, I wouldn't want to spread myself too thin. (5 days Chiang Mai (you could rent a jeep and drive around the surrounding areas *Pai is a great little town, 5 days Phuket (stay at Kata, bus to Karon & Patong), 1-2 days BKK (just enough to see the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, buy souveniers)
3. We had a grand time in Chiang Mai going to "Elephant Conservation Park". Got to be careful of the elephant parks... some exploit...some protect.
4. We took a cooking course in Chiang Mai (1 day... even my husband had fun!)
5. We took a 1 day excursion from Phuket to Phang-Na to do a long-boat ride through the "hongs". So much fun.

Please email if you need any more specific info.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Kris

While in Bangkok, visit Chatachuk weekend market if you are there on a weekend. Take the skytrain to Mo Chit and follow the herds. Anything and everything can be purchased here, usually cheaper than in other places in Bangkok.

Have a massage at the massage school at Wat Pho. A 1/2 hour massage was 150 baht (less than $4US) and a nice way to relax for a bit.

Go for an evening of Thai boxing in Bangkok. We only stayed for a few matches so we bought the cheaper standing room only tickets, the better matches are towards the middle. There's a stadium over by the night market (Lumpini), check with your hotel for which days are at that stadium. The night market and Thai boxing can be combined in one evening.

If you're staying on the river in Bangkok, be sure to take a ferry ride or a boat ride on the river. The public ferries were really cheap and a good way to get to the Grand Palace. The private boats can take you into the canals for a bit more money and can be arranged through the hotels.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 04:43 AM
Craig

From Bangkok, take the day trip to Ayuttya and Bang Pa In Palace out via bus, return via boat. Can be arranged through the Oriental Hotel.

Hire a driver and shop the handicraft villages on the outskirts of Chiang Mai.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 11:57 AM
andy

Thanks everyone. These are helpful suggestions. We are staying at the Roal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok. Anything special within walking distance?

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Kathie

I always stay at the Royal Orchid - great location. Right next door is River City Shopping Center - lots of "antiques" (some old, some made old) crafts, etc. Because you're right on the river, you can take a river taxi to the Grand Palace and Temple of the Emerald Buddha, etc. You're also right across the river from a great Thai restaurant owned by the Oriental. Have a great time! (I'm headed there in just over a week)

Old Nov 21st, 2002, 08:52 AM
Gajre

Any hotel in Bangkok for around $30-50,what other places in Thailand.