Search

Trip To India

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip To India

Hello all. My family and I are planning a trip to India this December for 13 days. No flexibility on this because of school. Our primary destinations are Calcutta and Darjeeling to see our family's birthplaces. Of course we would like to visit the Taj Mahal as well. We have heard that Varanasi is a "must see". We plan on spending at least 3 full days in Calcutta and 2-3 days in Darjeeling. Any thoughts on the order of itinerary. (I thought we would fly into New Dehli, rest there for 2 days and then head to Agra.) Are there any other city's or "must sees" that we will have time to see? We don't want to run ourselves too ragged. Any recommendations as to where to stay in each city? Unfortunately the Oberoi chain is out of our price range (there are 5 of us). But we do want really nice accomodations with a swimming pool in as many places as possible. (I do appreciate it will be way too cold to swim in Darjeeling at 8,000 feet in December) Any thoughts, advice from the Fodorite community is alway welcome and appreciated. P.S. I've contacted Compass Tours and are awaiting for their response.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:41 AM

Calcutta IMO the best hotels are the Oberoi Grand and the Taj. Rates in Calcutta are generally quite a bit lower than elsewhere in India due to less traffiic unless you are there at a very busy time. For slightly lower price range you could also look at the Park Hotel. Darjeeling take a look at Windamere - www.windamerehotel.com - truly an experience, worth every penny IMO. But book soon as they sell out for Dec very fast. Agra you can consider the Mughal Sheraton. Bear in mind that to travel from Calcutta to Darjeeling is half a day as you will fly Cal-Baghdogra then take a car for the 3-4 hour drive. Or you could take the toy train which is an experience. In terms of itinerary you could fly into Delhi, then train or car Delhi-Agra-Varanasi-Delhi, then fly to Calcutta, then Cal-Baghdogra-Darjeeling-Baghdogra-Delhi and fly out again.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Hobbes, that was such a wonderful response. What do you think of the itinerary? Too much to see in 14 days? Should we see a different city instead of Varanasi? An additional one? Where would you recommend we stay in Varanasi? Do you think Varanasi is a must see? Many thanks for your advice.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:10 PM

I do not know how old your kids are. IMO Varanasi is not a very child friendly city. You could cosnider Jaipur or Ranthambore (safari). Pl advise your kids ages and interests and I will reply.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Hobbes, the kids are 13, 15, and 18. The youngest is very interested in Hinduism. Are Jaipur and/or Rathambore convenient with our planned visits to Dehli, Agra, Calcutta, and Darjeeling,all within 14 day time frame, without running us too frazzled?

A side question, the least expensive flights I've found on line are about $1,500 U.S. This seems very expensive, what do you and other Fodorites think?
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Sorry Spiceroute, missed your reply. I do not know where you are flying in from and what class. In general flts into India in Dec are exp as it is peak toursit season. I think you could add opne more place without making it very hectic. A sample itinerary would look like this. Fly into Delhi. 3 days in Delhi (it really has enough for 3 days esp considering first day's jet lag). 4th day morning train Delhi-Agra. Overnight Agra. Try and extend your budget to Amr Vilas. Is really an experience. Overnight Agra. Next day Agra-Jaipur by road or Agra-Ranthambore by train. 2 nights Jaipur or Ranthambore. Back to Delhi. Fly to Calcutta. 2 nights Calcutta. Fly to Baghdogra then by road to Darjeeling, 3 nights there. Back to Baghdogra then fly from there to Delhi and last night in Delhi then back home. Both Jaipur and Ranhtmabore will give you loads of good hotel options with a swimming pool (tho it may be too cold to swim in all these places) for US$150/night/room.