Limited Time in India

Search

Limited Time in India

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Time in India

We are going to India over the Christmas holidays with our children, aged 13 and 15. Neither have been to India before. Unfortunately, we only have 9 days there. We are flying in and out of Bombay, and want to spend a 2-3 days there with relatives. Any thoughts on where to go in this limited time and what to see & do in Bombay?

Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 05:46 PM

Hello there! Flying in/out of Bombay! yes, I offer plenty of suggestions but most places i would suggest are not so close to Bombay so you are going to have to do a fair amount of traveling. But if this is your kids fist trip, they should certainly get a good taste of the country! How much traveling you want to do and what are you interests. i WOULD be happy to make some suggestions, being an American woman in/out of India for over 15 years. I gather you are Indian? Two ideas. Perhaps you can do a little loop and fly from bombay to Udaipur, and go to Jaipur, Agra and Delhi, and then fly back to Bombay from Delhi. I know it is alot of traveling and flying, but it can be done or a variation of that theme using both domestic flights and private car/driver..OR you can do bombay-Delhi-Agra-Varanasi-delhi-bombay. Again, so much traveling but so important and wonderful to see these places. So yes, i would probably use the free week and make a mini-tour of North India. Another idea if you want much more lesure and just to relax and have a tropical experince is to fly down to Goa or even fly down to Cochi in KERALA, and do a week tour of that state such as Cochi, the backwaters(allepy-quilon), a beach such a VArkala, and maybe the bird sanctuary, kumakaron. Many ideas, depedning on your intersts and how much traveling you want to do. feel free to drop me a line, happy to help.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM

Bonita, it's wonderful to know you are writing again for these forums. I will now check indiamike to see if you are back there also. Ikemarrus is lucky indeed to have the benefit of your advice (as, indeed, was I, twelve months ago).

Strength to your arm!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:42 PM

Hi Alan! And how are YOU? Thanx for the warm reception and appreciation, and really so nice to hear that you are alive and kicking! Yes, it has been a long time since we communicated about your trip to India last year. I would love to hear all about it and we can catch up, so do drop me a line! To answer your question! I guess i stopped writing on Indiamike when i got very busy with my work and projects in India last season after many slow years. U caught me way-back when i was in a down-time! Unfortunately I never got back into writing on INDIAMIKE, but perhaps i will check in from time to time. About Fodors, I started posting here again about two months ago during my summer holiday in NYC. I am presently in BKK on a long 10 day transit and on my way to Delhi. Once i get again in the thick of things in INDIA my writing will surely low down again. I have alot of exciting projects lined up and it should be my best year thus far, god-willing!~!. I will TRY to check in at Fodors from time to time, but you or anyone planning on comming to India can find me anytime at [email protected] *Alan*, looking forward to connecting with you and hearing all about your trip/trips/! Do e-mail me as i don't think I have your address. Namaste!~
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM

Where will you be staying in Bombay? IN Bombay the SOuth Bombay area is a lovely wander - The Gateway of India, Kala Ghoda, Fort. If you like different types of cuisine experience coastal seafood in BOmbay as well as the stark contrast of veg Gujarati food. Goa is a good suggestion tho likely to be packed over x-mas. I would also say look into a short Agra-Jaipur-Delhi trip. From Bombay fly to Jaipur-drive to Agra-drive to Delhi then fly back to Mumbai and out or open jaw your tickets to fly into Bombay and out of Delhi
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM

Alan! Where are you? You posted a few days ago and was looking forward to re-connecting! take care, Bonita.