Mar 16th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

15 days Northern India

Leaving May 19 here's what i have put together---Delhi 2
Agra 1
Jaipur 2
Varanasi 2
Derjeeling 5
I figure there will be a couple days of backtracking to Delhi ---also figure on a car/driver to Agra--Jaipur---and fly---no trains----any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mar 17th, 2006, 01:45 AM

Why no trains? Are most convenient with your itinerary. Hope u know how hot it will be. Now for an itinerary. Delhi-Varanasi-Delhi by air. Then Delhi Agra by fast train, Agra Jaipur by car, Jaipur back to Delhi by road or flight then fly to Baghdogra for car transfer to Darjeeling.
Mar 19th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input---I thought the car/driver seemed like the best considering the our time frame--but will consider the train Delhi--Agra --Yes I can only imagine the heat(live in S Fla) however its the only time available for 06--and very anxious to go.
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Given the weather I would strongly reco you put together your entire trip ina dvance - maybe with the help of someone local - so that yoou do not gtet exposed to the weather more than necessary while transferring between locations, etc. What budget are you looking for hotels in?
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

We are looking at 5 star hotels when available--- the Imperial in Delhi and the Oberoi in Agra & Taj Ganges in Varanasi do you know if you can fly from Jaipur to Varanasi and on to Baghdogra--or do you have to come back to Delhi? thanks
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM

No, Jaipur Varanasi no direct connection. Most efficient to do it by train actually. Then Varanasi Delhi then Delhi Baghdogra by air. In Darjeeling look at one of my favourite hotels in all of India - the Windamere. I think 5 nights in Darjeeling is prob too much. You could cosnider adding Gangtok as well.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

Sorry hit teply - www.winadmerehotel.com
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Ok I'm trying to check out the train times from Jaipur to Varanasi--not easy--In jaipur what do you think of staying at the Oberoi rajvilas--it seems like it outside town-& not in the town itself--or do you have another suggestion? I'm now checking out Gangtok thanks for the sugg

Mar 22nd, 2006, 11:37 PM

Train 4864 departs Jaipur (Tue, Wed, Fri & Sat.) at 15:30 and gets to Varanasi at 08:20

Train 4854 departs Jaipur (Mon, Thu & Sun.) at 15:30 and gets to Varanasi at 09:30
Mar 23rd, 2006, 02:03 PM

Depends really on what kind of Jaipur experience you want. Raj Vilas is out of town and is a new property so does not have the historic feel of a heritage hotel. Then again I'm not a huge fan of the Rambagh as I don't like large hotels, my preference is boutique properties. One of my favourite Jaipur hotels is Samode - which is charming but in a different, lower class than Raj Vilas. If the Raj Vilas rates are OK stay there - it is not far enough from town to be inconvenient and with your itinerary you will only be experiencing 2 Vilas properties, Amar Vilas and Raj Vilas so go for it!

If you add Gangtok the thng to do is this. Fly into baghdogra then take a helicopter Baghdogra to gangotk. It is subsidized and one of the cheapest whirly rides you will ahve in the world. If you have loads of luggage ask your travel agent to book a car for the luggage but yourselves come in the chopper if possible as its very scenic. In Gangtok look at the Norkhill - its a heritage property, a bit frayed at the edges but charming. Do 2 nights in Gangtok, then transfer to Darjeeling and do 3 nights there.
Are you making all your bookings yourself?
Mar 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes we are using a travel agent for our bookings--when you mentioned transfer to dArjeeling do you mean by car? I'm rethinking the trip--maybe we need 3 nights in Jaipur and 3 nights in Varanasi--considering travel time--and then Darjeeling 3 nights--that leaves 3 nights for Delhi transfers---
Mar 29th, 2006, 03:58 AM

Yes, Baghdogra to Darjeeling or Gangtok to Darjeeling by car.