Agra first? Agra last?

Search

Agra first? Agra last?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agra first? Agra last?

We plan a 20 days North Indian tour (Rajhastan-Agra-Varanassi). I don't know ig going to Agra first and then flowwing the route to the south-west and returning to Delhi to get the plane to Varanassi or if we rather tour Rajasthan first, then going to Agra to get a plane or a train to Varanassi-

What do you recommend? Thanks
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:54 PM

When my husband and I went to India last year, we toured Rajasthan first, then Agra, then Varanasi. It worked fine but if I had to do it over again, I think I would try to stay outside of Agra. The Taj Mahal is a wonder, but Agra is worse (?) than Delhi. I see posts here and read in the travel books that the Taj Mahal is best seen at sunrise or sunset. However, my experience was that at those times the pollution/haze was so thick that it was impossible to see anything. We postponed our morning tour, saw the Taj in the afternoon under a somewhat clear sky, and were entranced. Actually, Varanasi was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect to be as entranced by it as I was. Have a wonderful time and keep a sense of humor.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Hi.
Most tours do the Delhi/Agra/Jaipur triangle tour. I hope you are going to Udaipur too, as we liked the city, the sites, atmosphere and scenery so much better than Jaipur.
And Varanasi is truly a wonderful experience, I am glad you are going.

If it is your first trip to India, I think you'd probably like to see the Taj first. The excitement of really being in India and looking at the Taj for the first time is a once in a lifetime experience. There is no other in India. It's like taking a trip to Paris and saving the Eiffel Tower for last.

This last time, we went to the Taj last, and after being in India, seeing other historic sites, traveling for 10 days, the impact was less and we were basically all tired out. Although the Taj is worth going--absolutely--even if you save it for last.

(I posted about car/driver in your other post) You can correspond with the company about the best way to see all the sites/cities you want to visit. If they are a good company, they will offer suggestions and help you.

As other people here suggested, you may want to do separate trip Delhi/Varanasi/Delhi by flying. This is what we did.

Otherwise, I would suggest you start your way from Delhi going west (to Udaipur, then go east toward Jaipur, Agra to then Varanasi.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 12:26 AM

A very popular route is Delhi - Rajasthan - Delhi by car for two weeks and a one week flight ticket to cover the Delhi - Agra - Khajuraho - Varanasi - Delhi sector.

There are many posibilities and combinations of this but perhaps the one that leads to maximim satisfation is
Delhi
Jaipur
Deogarh
Udaipur
Rohet (Ranakpur on the way)
Jaisalmer
Jodhpur
Train to Delhi
A week by air.

You will have seen the most interesting places, stayed in two fascinating fort hotels and visited Khajuraho too!
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:10 AM

To add another thought. Where do you plan to stay in Agra? We stayed at the Amar Vilas hence saved Agra for last - the combination of the breath taking monument and utter luxury of AV really was a fitting ending to a lovely but fairly hectic trip (we did Ranthambore and Jaipur before). Agra- Del is well connected by train so you could consider dropping your car off there and doing that sectorby train then Del-Varanasi.
Old Aug 8th, 2004, 03:59 AM

A correction to my earlier posting
The seven day air pass begins from Jodhpur and takes you to Delhi - Agra etc.

The Amar Vilas is sheer luxury with personal views to the Taj.

For Rajasthan, I strongly recommend family hotels! Not just great value but no amount of cash can buy you the warmth and graciousness of traditional Rajasthan hospitality!