Traveling on a Budget

Sep 8th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Traveling on a Budget

Hi,
Those of you that have travelled to Thailand, does $120,000baht or about $3000.00 USD seem like enough for 35 days in Thailand and Cambodia?
thanks
rich
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:16 AM

so about well that 90 something bucks a day... when you said budget I gues you ment a big budget.. you can rent a luxeery apartment for a month. eat out every day, party every nigtt have a personal driver, maid and come home with some spare change. NO JOKE
Sep 8th, 2004, 06:29 AM

I just got back from Bangkok a few days ago and one night stayed at the Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel (Accor Hotel system). I got a jr.suite with large walk-in closet, queen-sized bed,big bathroom,livingroom area,kitchenette...large fridge and freezer,big microwave oven, stainless steel sink and counter space and lots of cabinets for 1400Baht/$34.14. There's a laundry room with washers and dryers for use at 70Baht for a purchase of a token and there's a huge swimming pool on the top floor and restaurants,too. The building is a combination of a hotel and serviced apartments which are common in Bangkok. You can even get a room with a stove. This hotel is located at the Ploenchit Sky Train station and is on the same street with part of the Plaza Athenee Hotel. Happy Travels!
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:13 AM

guenmai; is the chateau close to mbk or other shopping areas? also, i believe you mentioned thanying restaurant in sing. i see that there are two there. one in a hotel, and the other in clark quay. which one do you recommend?

can anyone recommend a $30-$50/day hotel in the mbk/major shopping center area?
Sep 8th, 2004, 07:51 PM

the Arnoma hotel is the budget hotel in the siam area. it kind of looks like a older USA holiday in.. it is right accross the street form world trade plazza..

just quickly checkoing, www.asiahotels. has deal 2 nights superior room . breakfest. airport transfer for 2.550 Baht.

seems like a good deal..
I've never stayed there.
Sep 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Orgy7, are you serious???? I just find it hard to believe that. The hotels, food, partying is just that cheap there? I am excited about visiting Bangkok, Pattaya, and Chiang Mai. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about those places?
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:18 AM

OHH since your going too Pattay. Chaing Mai and some other places.. I'd say no maid, personal driver for you that cash may be needed for the travel expence

I was just taking account if you rented a place for a month and made some excursions too cambodia. pattaya. etc. if you will be jumping around a lot.. you still well be fine. most decent clean no frills hotels go for about 35$ or less. so you still have $60 to blow per day.
Sep 9th, 2004, 07:21 AM

IF your backpacking and hitting the guesthouses they go for around $2-$10 a night.
Sep 9th, 2004, 09:45 AM

To Kuranosuke- The Chateau de Bangkok is 200 meters from the Ploenchit skytrain station which is on the main Sukumvit Skytrain line. It's not that many stops from Siam Square where MBK is.As for Thanying restaurant...one is in the Amari Hotel at the Tangong Pagar MRT station...a 2 minute walk as you exit the station...walk to your left.That one is a very quiet restaurant as it's inside of a business style hotel. The one at Clarke's Quay is livelier and you should probably make a reservation if it's for dinner. It's dead at lunch since no one is really at Clark's Quay during the daytime. I really like both, but the one at Clarke's Quay has more atmosphere. BUT...there's a new one that I JUST ate at. It was in the basement of the English-sounding named department store that I can't remember the name of...but just go to the Ngee Ann Shopping Center on Orchard Road and the Department store is either in that mall or the one next to it...that connects the two malls... and when you go to the basement there's a food court and the Thanying restaurant is there. It's really jumping...folks coming in and out constantly and the food is real good...great for lunch...but I'd do the Clark Quay one for dinner.Oh, as for a hotel near MBK...I don't know of any budget...but the advantage of Chateau de Bangkok is that it's on the same street...Ruam Rudee as one of the best Thai restaurants in town...the Baan Kraticha(sp?). Go on line and get Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok...She lists restaurants,too. It's nancychandler. org or either net...I can't remember which.Gotta run... Happy Travels!
Sep 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM

ogry7; thanks for the tip on the hotel.

guenmai; always so helpful and courteous. thanks for the info on thanying. will ck out ngee city, and clark quay. will let you know how it was later.