Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Traveling in China Itinerary Help Needed!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 full days of travel and two full days of flying from the US to China.

1) Is 4 days in Beijing enough?
2) Is 3 days in Hong Kong enough? Counting a day trip to Macau.
3) Where should I stay in Beijing where I could visit the major attractions easily?
4) Is there a map of the subway station/bus schedule in Beijing and HK?
5) What is the typical dress code for traveling to China during Autumn?
6) Will speaking Cantonese help me when I travel to Beijing?
7) I heard that there are different activities or ways to get on the Great Wall, can someone please share there experience or recommend a tour group for this all day visit to the Great Wall?
8) Which site do I go to to book the ferry ride from Hong Kong to Macau?
9) Is it cheaper to book my trip through Expedia or go through a travel agency?
10) I have never applied for a Visa in any of my travels, how would I go about doing so? Is it done in person or online or snail mail? I heard that you have a 3rd party travel agent do it for you? Would anyone recommend that?
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 02:26 PM

1. Not relly, but it will give you a sample
2. Again, not really enough time, but you will get a taste. With your limited time, I'd probably skip Macau this trip.
3. There are hundreds of hotels that meet your criteria.
4. Yes, there are subway maps of both cities available online. Google is your friend. Maps are also available once you get there.
8. You can book your ferry to Macau once you get to Hong Hong. They run very frequently.
9. You are always better off booking your airline tickets directly from the airline. Book hotels through on-like booking agencies like www.agoda.com or from the hotel's own website.
10. What passport do you travel on? If you are a US citizen, you do not need a visa for either Hong Kong or Macau. For the Chinese visa, go to the website of the consulate nearest you and follow all of the instructions carefully. If you live in or near a city with a consulate, you can go in person to drop off your application and passport and pick up your passport with the visa several days later. if not, do it by mail or pay a visa agency to do it for you. The visa agency will charge you $50-100 on top of the cost of the visa ($140).
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 02:42 PM
kja

IMO, Beijing deserves at least 6 days just to see the most important sights. Any good guidebook should give you the basic info you need to decide on your priorities, figure out what your transportation and lodging options are, give you some key words and phrases in Mandarin (make sure you have them in English, kanji, and pinyin), along with maps of the cities, their subways systems, and info about how to get a visa. Do come back when you have specific questions that aren't answered in these invaluable sources. Enjoy your planning!
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM

Need a third day to fly from China back to US.

1. and 2. Count in a 1/2 day to travel between the two cities.
3. Stay near a subway station.
5. Dress code is "traveler", Beijing gets cooler in November, HK will be warmer.
6. No.
7. Depends on which part of the Great wall you'd like to visit.
11. Get a guide book and read up on Beijing and HK.

Are you going this year?
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 08:16 PM

4. Hong Kong
www.mtr.com.hk
kmb.hk
www.nwstbus.com.hk
www.newlantaobus.com

www.turbojet.com.hk
www.cotaijet.com.mo
Just go to the pier and get your ticket then. If busy, use one of the agents across from the counters - depends on demand, you may pay a little less than face value or a little more
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 07:13 AM

1) Is 4 days in Beijing enough?
Some more thoughts:

3) Where should I stay in Beijing where I could visit the major attractions easily? Anywhere near a train stop

6) Will speaking Cantonese help me when I travel to Beijing?
NO. You will likely not be understood. If you want to learn any Chinese, learn Mandarin. In Hong Kong you won't really need Canto.

7) I heard that there are different activities or ways to get on the Great Wall, can someone please share there experience or recommend a tour group for this all day visit to the Great Wall?

I took the Mutianyu School Bus, which was a great option. I think it was 120 RMB per person, it runs only on Saturday and Sunday. It's run by an expat couple who own a hotel/restaurant near this part of the wall, called the School House. We liked this part of the Wall for a first visit, though I'd venture further out when I return to Beijing. The bus leaves from the Kepinski Hotel around 9am, and returns to Beijing around 6. it's around 2 hours (depending on traffic) each way. This was a good way for us to avoid taking a taxi the whole way or dealing with the public bus.

9) Is it cheaper to book my trip through Expedia or go through a travel agency?
I wouldn't recommend Expedia, but try some more local Asian travel sites. I've found good flight deals on Zuji.com leaving from Hong Kong. Cheaper than the airlines' sites.

10) I have never applied for a Visa in any of my travels, how would I go about doing so? Is it done in person or online or snail mail? I heard that you have a 3rd party travel agent do it for you? Would anyone recommend that?

As Kathie says above, just bring your paperwork on the consulate. My parents recently got (on their own, no agent) multiple entry visas to China. I sent them a link to reviews of the local consulate on Yelp. There were many, many nasty reviews with people who explained why they were turned away and how to get your paperwork in order. The main thing that I thought would be an issue for my parents is that the hotel confirm needs BOTH names on it. Who ever books a hotel room using both individuals names? Anyway - I just emailed the hotel and had them send me a document stating both of their names and that they would be sharing a room.
Old Oct 8th, 2013, 11:44 AM

cali88, you can get a map of the metro from any train station. Be sure to avail the octopus card which allows you to ride public transportation like buses and trains to avoid the cues (everyone rides the metro). HK are used to tourist and they can understand english but not speak it too well. Be sure to visit Lantau Island where you will have to ride the 360 cable ride for about 30 minutes to get there and ride back to main HK. you will be visiting fishing village and the Big buddha situated from a hill. Im telling you the sight is breath taking. Visiting the avenue of the stars in HK is given. Ocean Park is also pretty awesome. you can buy the ferry ticket from the station which is connected to a Mall near the avenue of the stars, I forgot which mall it is. Im sure you can find it in website. Visit Venetian Hotel in Macau, very nice interior full of tourist and play some POker while ur at it.
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM

For the Great Wall, this is a great tour I did two years ago, JINSHANLING to SIMATAI:

http://www.backpackingchina.com/detail.aspx?id=6

It is a pretty tough 2 hour hike, but it takes you to a part of the wall with very few people. (and they are one of the few tours that do not do a shopping stop!)
Old Oct 9th, 2013, 11:32 PM

Sorry, here is the correct link:

http://www.backpackingchina.com/trip...sp?Id=15&tId=4
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:28 AM

re visa (Q10)

Since you're flying from the US, I assume you're an American citizen. Have you checked the Chinese Embassy's website (http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas)? It has very easy to follow instructions on how to get a visa, including information on going in person vs. mailing it in, etc. Be sure to allow yourself enough time to get the visa. I cannot emphasize this enough!! If you want to hire a third party, I can recommend Travel Documents Systems, which my employer has used many times (www.traveldocs.com).

As a side note, have you gotten the Fodor's China guide, either from the bookstore or your local library? It is really helpful and will answer many of your questions (and no, I don't work for them, LOL!).
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM

Re Great Wall: How nimble and adventuresome are you? I am of a certain (ahem) age, living in Beijing. When friends or colleagues come to visit I typically recommend hiring a car or taxi for 700-800RMB (about $125USD) and go early in the morning to Mutianyu. We spend a couple of hours on the Wall, then the car takes us back to Beijing.

Someone above recommended you stay near a train station. Let me translate that as "subway" station. The Beijing subway is super cheap, super easy (English signs and announcements), and moves even when street traffic has turned most of Beijing into a parking lot. I have an app of the subway system on my phone, Explore Beijing, which is great and really easy to read--it includes a locator for the nearest subway station. I see the same developer has one for Hong Kong, too.
Old Oct 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM

If you hold a US passport, you will need a visa to enter China.

I just used this service because there is not a consulate office near me. http://www.globalpassport.com/

They were very prompt, kept me informed along the way and charged a similar fee to other agencies.

Enjoy China!