Search

Hong Kong ID process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong ID process

I have a question for HK residents:

Do you know how long it takes for obtaining the permanet resident ID card. I've already been approved (as I was born in HK and currently live in US). I'm told I need to personally go to the HK Immigration office to take a picture. But I'd like to know if you get the ID immediately or how many days later.

Also, after getting the HK ID, I plan to get the visa that lets you go to China (the type used by HK residents). Do you know how many days this takes??

Thanks for any help. I'm planning an upcoming travel to HK for this purpose.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM

I do not have a permanent resident ID, but do have a Hong Kong resident's permit/work permit. Once the paperwork is cleared and you go for the photo, the ID is issued on the same day, you wait for them to prepare the card. Not sure if it is the same for permanent ID. Have you called the Immigration Dept?

I believe China visas can be issued in one day if you are willing to pay the extra charge. Otherwise the process takes 2-3 days. Most peolpe use a travel agent in HK to get the visa. However, if you hold a US passport, you might want to get your China visa before you leave the US. I am not sure that the visa issued to HK permannt ID holders is any different or allows travel for a longer period than the visa issued to US citizens, maybe you know better why you think you want the visa for HK permanent ID holders. If you decide to get the visa while you are in the US, you can find downloadable forms on the the Chinese Embassy website at www.china-embassy.org. On the main page, click on "Visa and Passport" and read and follow the various instructions. I assume you want a tourist visa, which is an L visa.

Chinese Embassy
2201 Wisconsin Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20007
(202/338-6688)

Consulates General: Chicago (312/803-0098), Houston (713/524-4311), Los Angeles (213/807-8018), New York (212/330-7409) or San Francisco (415/563-4857).
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:19 AM

To correct my own post, I don't believe you need to be a US citizen to apply for a China tourist visa while in the US, your residence there qualifies you to apply; however the application fee and or time to issue the visa may be different for non-US citizens.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cicerone for your info and the addresses, phones, and websites. They are definitely handy.

My plan is hopefully to get a HK resident "Re-entry" permit to Mainland China after obtaining the HK ID. This way, I can avoid the high visa fees (charged to US citizens) for each entry into China. I think this permit lasts 3 or 10 yrs and allows unlimited trips to China.

I can only spend 3 wks in HK, so I wanted to get an idea whether this is enough time to first obtain the HK ID card, followed by applying for the "Re-Entry Permit to China".

But, after doing some searching online, it seems that I better just apply for a tourist visa for any sidetrip into China, as the "Re-entry permit" probably won't be issued in time.

Has anyone else in HK done this recently and can tell me how long it takes to get these documents?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:52 PM

I inquire about the Chinese "Re-entry Permit" for Hong Kong residents a few days ago at the CTS office in Central. The time required to get a card issued is 5 working days, assuming you have everything in order. You can also have someone else pick it up for you if you've already left town.

Keep in mind that they give out appointments at all CTS office, usually starting at 8am. You'll see people lining up at most of them in the morning. So, go to an office early so you don't waste another day.

Also note that by applying for a "Re-entry card", you're declaring yourself technically a "Chinese Citizen". Depending on your current residence/citizenship status in the US, that may or may not have ramifications now or in the future. [For example, I decided not to apply for one during my recent trip after understanding more about this...]
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for the info on the Re-entry permit.

Glad you pointed out the citizenship issue as I would've never thought about it-- now I have something new to consider.

Hope you're having fun in HK!
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 08:51 AM

You can find info on HK ID and much more here. http://www.esd.gov.hk/ga/id/eng/default.asp They are in the process of replacing old ID cards with new smart ID. On the website they pledge to issue the new cards in 10 working days. About the re-entry card, they expect you to fill out their forms in Chinese, address and everything. May or may not be a problem for you.