Search

Hong Kong and Visa's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong and Visa's

Hi folks,
My first trip to Hong Kong is in the early planning stages, and I'm not clear on whether or not I will need a visa for an eight day six night trip. I don't plan any "border runs", just HK Island, Kowloon, Lantau Island, and maybe up into the territories.

Thanks!

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:37 PM

Most people can get visa on arrival at the Hong Kong airport. I guess it depend on where you're from.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:38 PM

You haven't mentioned your nationality, but in general citizens of developed nations (as any guide book will tell you) can obtain a three-month tourist visa for Hong Kong free on arrival. British citizens get six months. These visas, as you obviously suspect, are only valid for territory within the HK SAR (which includes all the places you mention), and not for crossing to mainland China. You can also make a side trip to Macau without visa difficulties.

To find out exactly what the situation is for your nationality, see:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4.htm

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Peter, thanks for the link. According to the to the chart, I can visit up yo 90 days without a visa? I'm from the USA.

The tour provider, Pacific Delight has this on their website as to "Travel Documents"

http://www.pacificdelighttours.com/a...rn_SS08HKU.htm

"U.S. passports with a six-month validity AFTER the date of return are required for all tour participants. PDTI will secure the visa for entry into the People's Republic of China; this visa fee is not included in the tour cost shown. All applications must be forwarded to the Chinese Consulate for their approval. PDTI cannot guarantee the acceptance of your visa application. If for any reason your application is denied, a full refund will be made on any payment."

And this under "Terms & Conditions"...

"3. CHINA VISAS: U.S. Passports with a six month validity AFTER the date of return should be sent to our office no later than 45 days prior to departure date with a completed and signed Visa Application Form with passport-size color photo, including payment by credit card or check and is non-refundable once the visa is issued.
Visa .................................US $80.00 per person (reflects rate increase as of May 2003)"

Are they just running up the price for somthing I don't need?

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:27 PM

Probably not deliberate, but laziness with terms (I can't imagine they know this little about China).

The first passage quoted does specify "visa for entry into the People's Republic of China", and Hong Kong is indeed now part of the People's Republic, gloriously reunited with the Motherland, etc. etc. But for many purposes the "one country, two systems" method of government, for all its flaws, means that Hong Kong is treated as foreign territory. Flights from the mainland to HK attract an international departure tax, mainland Chinese cannot visit the SAR without special paperwork (although this is easing), the SAR maintains its own currency, and handles its own immigration. For visa purposes it is *not* part of the People's Republic, but a vastly more open place. You don't need a visa if you are not crossing into the mainland, and if Pacific Delight has failed to make you understand that, then it needs to rewrite its Web site, and it's being pretty sloppy. Perhaps there's a separate section dealing with Hong Kong rather than China?

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html