Can I get a visa for China by mail

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a look at chinaembassy.org for info about visas for my sister who will be travelling from the U.S. (US passport) to Hong Kong then to Guangdong. She is from Pennsylvania so apparently would apply via the consul general office in NY,NY.

The website seems to be saying that as of May 1, they don't accept visas by mail! I can't believe that they want people to show up in person. Maybe it is just bad English on their webpage?

She and husband want to cross into H.K. from China several times. I suppose they were planning on making day trips to H.K. from Huizhou. Now, they understand that they can only get a 2-entry tourist visa and, since they are not there on business, can't get the multiple entry visa.

Having entered China a second time they would exit to Hong Kong. Could they then get a second two-entry visa in Hong Kong? For example, on Sunday they enter China from H.K. Tuesday make a day trip from China to H.K. returning that night. Wednesday go to H.K. and get a visa renewal so that they could get back into China that night.
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:36 PM

No.

But.....we live in Baton Rouge & I took a day off work to drive 4 1/2 hours to Houston to get our visas a few weeks ago. Noticed that there were a couple of "agencies" there with stacks of passports.

So, if it's a big inconvenience I suggest you call a local-to-the-consulate-area travel agency & see if they can guide you to someone who will hand deliver the documents.

/Dale & Kathy
danddick*@*yahoo.com
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:36 PM

call the embassy in washington dc...they will tell you....i sent mine to washington a couple of years ago and had no problem---pre-9-11, however
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:07 AM

I agree your sister should call the PRC embassy or nearest consulate and ask. You can usually use a commercial service to do this, one I have heard of but never used so cannot personally recommend is traveldocs.com

Another option is that if they will be in Hong Kong for a few days, they can get a PRC visa there at the PRC Consulate. It takes about 2 days, and they can also ask about multiple entry. The visa fees are also much less than the visa fee you would pay in New York. I used to live in Hong Kong, and my friends would often send me their passports and I would obtain a PRC visa for them, as it was much cheaper and faster.

If they are only going to be in Hong Kong for 3 days or so, this may not be worth it, as you have to go to the visa office, etc. There are travel agencies which will do this for you as well; they might contact their hotel now and find out if the hotel can arrange to get them PRC visas through their travel desk after they arrive in Hong Kong.

If they are going to use the Hong Kong route, they should bring passport-size photos as they will need them for the application, and you they won't waste time getting them taken there.

One more thing to consider is that if they will be in Hong Kong on a weekend, it will be hard to get the visas, as the visa office is closed on weekends.

Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Visa Office)
5/F, Lower Block, China Resources Building,
26 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
tel: 852-2585-1794

I couldn?t find a website.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:16 AM

The Chinese consulates are no longer accepting applications by mail as of May 1, 2003. You have to apply in person, have a friend or relative apply in person on your behalf, or use a visa service agent.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:05 PM

I and a friend are traveling to China in Nov.. You can no longer apply by mail. We used a service named VisaRite and are very happy with their service. They offer from 8 hour to 10 day service, priced accordingly. I used 10 day and it took a little less than that. Price was $90.00, includes $50 Visa, $30 fee and $10 for 2 day air return to you. Website www.visarite.com.
Have a great trip, Rick
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

The embassy's website actually discourages you from calling, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the very thorough replies. I will encourage them to use a visa service, otherwise it will be me driving into D.C. to get it done.

They do have time to get it done in H.K., and I will definitely suggest that (if it was me, I'd do it as Cicerone suggests) but I am sure they will want to have visas in hand before leaving the US.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:03 PM

Hi We used a visa service and got our visas back in about a week. It is definitely the way to go