Can I get a visa for China by mail

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,809
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get a visa for China by mail

Took a look at for info about visas for my sister who will be travelling from the U.S. (US passport) to Hong Kong then to Guangdong. She is from Pennsylvania so apparently would apply via the consul general office in NY,NY.

The website seems to be saying that as of May 1, they don't accept visas by mail! I can't believe that they want people to show up in person. Maybe it is just bad English on their webpage?

She and husband want to cross into H.K. from China several times. I suppose they were planning on making day trips to H.K. from Huizhou. Now, they understand that they can only get a 2-entry tourist visa and, since they are not there on business, can't get the multiple entry visa.

Having entered China a second time they would exit to Hong Kong. Could they then get a second two-entry visa in Hong Kong? For example, on Sunday they enter China from H.K. Tuesday make a day trip from China to H.K. returning that night. Wednesday go to H.K. and get a visa renewal so that they could get back into China that night.
mrwunrfl is online now  
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But.....we live in Baton Rouge & I took a day off work to drive 4 1/2 hours to Houston to get our visas a few weeks ago. Noticed that there were a couple of "agencies" there with stacks of passports.

So, if it's a big inconvenience I suggest you call a local-to-the-consulate-area travel agency & see if they can guide you to someone who will hand deliver the documents.

/Dale & Kathy
dddick is offline  
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 29,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
call the embassy in washington dc...they will tell you....i sent mine to washington a couple of years ago and had no problem---pre-9-11, however
rhkkmk is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,689
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree your sister should call the PRC embassy or nearest consulate and ask. You can usually use a commercial service to do this, one I have heard of but never used so cannot personally recommend is

Another option is that if they will be in Hong Kong for a few days, they can get a PRC visa there at the PRC Consulate. It takes about 2 days, and they can also ask about multiple entry. The visa fees are also much less than the visa fee you would pay in New York. I used to live in Hong Kong, and my friends would often send me their passports and I would obtain a PRC visa for them, as it was much cheaper and faster.

If they are only going to be in Hong Kong for 3 days or so, this may not be worth it, as you have to go to the visa office, etc. There are travel agencies which will do this for you as well; they might contact their hotel now and find out if the hotel can arrange to get them PRC visas through their travel desk after they arrive in Hong Kong.

If they are going to use the Hong Kong route, they should bring passport-size photos as they will need them for the application, and you they won't waste time getting them taken there.

One more thing to consider is that if they will be in Hong Kong on a weekend, it will be hard to get the visas, as the visa office is closed on weekends.

Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Visa Office)
5/F, Lower Block, China Resources Building,
26 Harbour Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong
tel: 852-2585-1794

I couldn?t find a website.
Cicerone is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 13,377
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Chinese consulates are no longer accepting applications by mail as of May 1, 2003. You have to apply in person, have a friend or relative apply in person on your behalf, or use a visa service agent.
Patty is online now  
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I and a friend are traveling to China in Nov.. You can no longer apply by mail. We used a service named VisaRite and are very happy with their service. They offer from 8 hour to 10 day service, priced accordingly. I used 10 day and it took a little less than that. Price was $90.00, includes $50 Visa, $30 fee and $10 for 2 day air return to you. Website
Have a great trip, Rick
rickg is offline  
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,809
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The embassy's website actually discourages you from calling, so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for the very thorough replies. I will encourage them to use a visa service, otherwise it will be me driving into D.C. to get it done.

They do have time to get it done in H.K., and I will definitely suggest that (if it was me, I'd do it as Cicerone suggests) but I am sure they will want to have visas in hand before leaving the US.
mrwunrfl is online now  
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi We used a visa service and got our visas back in about a week. It is definitely the way to go
marywhitcomb is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jul 14th, 2018 03:45 AM
Apr 17th, 2009 09:00 AM
Nov 5th, 2007 04:42 PM
Apr 8th, 2007 12:15 PM
Nov 2nd, 2003 08:27 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -