Luang Prabang Sightseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Luang Prabang in mid-December for 1 full day and 2 half days. On my full day, is it worth it to go to the Pak Ou Caves or would I be better off just wandering around town taking in the temples, shopping, etc.

Has anyone been to the Apsara Restaurant/Bar? Saw it in T&L magazine and it looked interesting. Other recommendations for shopping and higher-end restaurants would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:13 PM

There is so much to see in Luang Prabang and the surrounding area! Personally, I really enjoyed the Pak Ou caves. It's worth a half-day, not only for the caves, but for the river trip. You can get a boat to yourselves for approx. US$15. Frankly, don't bother to stop at the lao-lao village near the caves.

You can spend days wandering the temples in town. They are lovely and very different from each other. I'd spend your whole day in LP.

High-end restaurants: the Villa Santi (eat upstairs on the verandah overlooking the street), the Blue Elephant is supposed to be excellent, and I though the best food I ate there was at the Pansea overlooking town.

If you are interested in silk-weaving, get a driver to take you to the nearby silk weaving village. This could be your other half day. You can see the women weaving and buy silks directly from the weavers at the co-op.

There are a few small stores and galleries to buy from in town, but LP isn't a big shopping destination.

I spent a week in LP and loved every minute!

You can see our photos at www.marlandc.com
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Kathie. Do you know anything about the Apsara Restaurant/Bar?
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:40 AM

Sorry, I haven't heard of it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:42 AM

If we can be of help with some photo albums of Luang Prabang, please visit www.geographic-expeditions.com and enjoy your stay in world heritage Luang Prabang. It is worth the trip!
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:04 AM

I've been looking at the Apsara too - have you seen their website. www.theapsara.com - looks quite nice - I'd love to hear from someone who has stayed there too.