Cost of Meals in India

Search

Cost of Meals in India

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of Meals in India

For those of you that have stayed at many of the Oberoi hotels in India--specifically the Agravillas, Vanyavillas and other hotels like the Lake Palace in Udapuir, Rambagh Palace in Jaipur--how expensive are the meals or do some of the hotels include them? Also, do we need to dress for dinner-coat and tie for men and dresses for women???Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 02:52 PM

Don't know about dress codes but India is a bargain with USD. I took my in-laws to the Rambagh palace and it cost about $80.00 for 7-8 people. Renting a cab for the entire day in Delhi was about $12.00. Yes, that is right. I doubt if you need a dinner jacket too. They need foreign exchange too much to mess with that. And be sure to try some Indian beer!
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

jacketwatch--I will be sure to try the beer! The costs do sound quite reasonable from your post. I had looked on a couple other websites and came away not sure how much the meals would cost. It seemed like they could be quite costly. After spending so much on the hotel, I'm not sure that I want to spend US prices for a meal too.
Old Sep 21st, 2003, 05:31 PM

Hope you enjoy it. BTW Indian beer usually comes in bottles about 25 oz. or so. You need it to cool off the spiceness! Cheers, Larry
Old Sep 24th, 2003, 09:39 AM

In my experience, the meal prices at the "Vila" brand Oberoi hotels are on the high side, close to US prices. Prices at the Rambagh and the Lake Palace will be better. I have yet to find any restaurant in India which requires a jacket, as many Indians do not themselves where jackets. If you go to expensive restaurants, the women of course will be wearing beautiful saris and jewelery, but the men will often be wearing "bush" shirts or Indian dress. None of the Oberoi hotels I have been to would require a coat or tie for men. You can wear slacks if you wanted. I might draw the line at jeans, but casual slacks would be fine.

You should contact the hotels to determine if meals are included in the price I have not generally found that to be the case except at safari places like the Sawai Madophur Lodge in Ranthambore.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:25 AM

Do not know if u have left...The Vilas properties are expensive but generally a bit above all the other smentiond here in ambience, service, etc. In dec 2002 I took my husband to Udai Vilas in Udaipur for 2 nights and we went to lake Palace for 1 meal. It was hugely disappointing and not even VFM. Ties for men and dresses for women are NOT reqd. Even if u are not staying at the Vilas properties do go for a meal - quite an exp. If u have not left happy to ans more qns.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I haven't left yet--December!!! . This is one hard trip to plan! There seems to be such a wide disparity in prices so I am having trouble knowing how much to plan on for meals etc. Thanks so much for all your comments.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:30 PM

I think for the most part the meals will be inexpensive, esp. if you are not eating at the best places in town every night.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:56 PM

[email protected] In metro cities u have a number of options for non hotel dining. In Mumbai and Delhi esp. If u are visiting both these cities write to me re cuisine preferences and I can suggest some places.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM

Irie mon! If you are in Delhi try Nirulas in connaught place (CP). They have two restaurants, Chinese and continental casual. Pretty inexpensive too.