Visa requirement for Canadian with HongKong ID card

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to visit China this Nov. Our Chinese Port of entry will be Beijing, flying from Vancouver, B.C. via Osaka, Japan. Wife and I are both Canadians with Valid Canadian passports, we are also holders of Hong Kong Permanent indentity cards, we can enter China via Hong Kong or Macau without a Chinese visa, can we do the same in entering other Chinese cities such as Beijing?
Thank you for your advice.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Hong Kong permanent ID card holders <b>cannot enter China</b> without a valid visa with their passport, or having the <b>Home Return Permit</b>. You must be mistaken somewhere.

If you do have the HRP, then it doesn't matter how and and where you enter China.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply,
we have the HRP as well, i am concern that airline may not let us board without a Chinese visa when our passport is checked, is that possible?
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:05 PM

Some airline employees may not know, but just tell them you've done this many times and thousands of Hong Kong and Macau citizens fly into dozens of Chinese cities each day with exactly that - the HRP. That's the <b>only</b> travel document that you need to enter China, and that's the <b>only</b> travel document you CAN enter with.

If they have doubts, tell that check-in agent to call his/her supervisor or the local Chinese embassy.

Anyways, many of my relatives have flown directly into China from the US, and the airlines have never given them trouble.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your response, appreciated, i suppose one can always check with the Chinese Embassy to be certain.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:02 AM

<b>You</b> don't need to check with the Chienese Embassy. It's a FACT you can enter PRC with just the HRP only, regardless whether you're busing from Hong Kong, flying in from Japan, or training from Russia/Mongolia.

The only issue is if you get an ignorant and stubborn airport check-in staff that doesn't know better. Then you tell <b>him/her</b> to call the local Chinese Embassy.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help.