Transit/day rate hotels in Singapore

Sep 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Transit/day rate hotels in Singapore

Hello,

I will be arriving in Singapore airport T2 on Sunday am around 8am and flying out at 5pm.

The transit hotels in both terminals are full.

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced hotel that offers day rates? Would there be any 4* or 5* that does so? I prefer not to stay in the Hotel 81 type chains if possible.

Thanks a lot,
Jane

Sep 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM

I go to Singapore regularly and off of the top of my head can't think of any. I've used the transit hotel in that type of situation. I would just show up at the transit hotel and see if there are any cancellations. They only hold the rooms for a short period of time and then the no-show rooms go up for grabs.
Otherwise, you'd have to book a hotel room the day before you arrive so that you could have it upon your arrival day and then the check out time would be 12 noon the day of your arrival which would make your stay one expensive stay for only a few hours. I've done that several times, but I check into the YMCA International House Hotel at 1 Orchard Road...a very nice place... when I have to do that...not a 4 or 5 star. Happy Travels!
Sep 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM

There is a Le Meridien that is considered "near" the airport. It's called Le Meridien Changi. I'd check with them about day rooms.
Sep 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM

The airport consistently gets the "world's best" rating for airports - and deservedly so. There are wonderful "quiet rooms", darkened for sleeping and offering chaise lounge-type chairs, as well as nice shower facilites in a separate area. For very little money, you can use the rooftop pool and shower facilites all day. Enjoy!!
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, I will look into these options.

Jane
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM

I agree, try the transit hotel when you get there, if they are full ask them to check at the other terminal ( walkway-mover and train betwen ), if both are full ( they might offer you something in a couple of hours perhaps ), failing that thee are some lounges you can pay to use, there is a swimming pool, superb showers, gym etc, cinema etc.
If that is no good and you feel up to 'going out' to a hotel, go thru immigration and go to the hotel counter, tell them you want something nearby nd for how many hours, you might get lucky with Le meridien or something else ( Meridien dos though have a free shuttle bus which makes a big difference to total price ), I think it fair to stay Meridien has a flood of people on early check-out and many arriving late, so chances of getting a 'good deal' for a day room are quite high and that hotel counter certainly will have access to that deal, they are very helpful and provide a good service.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM

Last deal I had for Meridien Changi was about SGD 139, that was for a night, I am wild guessing that to be in the US$90 range.

Perhaps an idea would be to note the number for Meridien Changi and call them when you arrive in the transit area( local Singapore calls are Free from particular phone place in the transit area - well they 'were' at least - not the rows of phones but some little counter with phones and a sign saying 'free local calls',) find that before heading to the Transit hotel so you can compare price/suitability.
If Meridien say they have a day room but offer you anything high price tell them you will b going down to the hotel counter anyhow, that may swing-them to offer you the special deal.
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM

They seem to be calling themselves simply "Changi Village" now, don't know if they have split from Meridienn ( ? )

Email and phone details ( click on "Contact us"):
http://www.changivillage.com.sg

Why not also email see what they offer for day rate
Sep 20th, 2007, 10:40 PM

Don't waste extra for Executive rooms, I was hard pushed to find any difference to normal.
They have a rooftop pool with views over the sea.
Sep 20th, 2007, 11:10 PM

If I could make a suggestion, I would book myself in for a treatment at one of the spas at a downtown hotel like the Four Seasons or the Shangri-La or treatment rooms at the Marriott. That way you get to use the pool and gym area all day (check this but that is almost always the case, you usually do not have to be a guest to make spa bookings; and generally once you have a locker you can usually go in and out as you please) and will get shower and a locker for your stuff as well. Have a massage for the jet lag, then take a shower and/or a steam, get changed into fresh clothes and leave your gear in the spa, go have brunch at the hotel or at the pool. You can then nap at the pool, workout in the gym or wander around Singapore and then head back to the spa to collect your stuff and then head back to the airport. You may get a lot more out of this than sitting around a room at an airport hotel, for about the same cost.

The spa the Ritz would work too, although IMO the spa it is not really that special, but the massages are good. However, the treatment rooms are right at the pool, where the gym is located and you can order meals at the pool, which is quite a nice pool. The Ritz is also walkable to some interesting areas like Arab Street and the Raffles Hotel.