Paging Dogster re Bhutan

Search

Paging Dogster re Bhutan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paging Dogster re Bhutan

Dogster I saw on another post that you are in the process of arranging a 21 day trip in Bhutan. We are concidering a trip of similar lenght so would be very interested in hearing what your ininerary is if you don't mind. What time of year are you going. Thanks in advance.
J
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 01:55 PM

Hi jules,
I'm in Bhutan in December, after Kolkata, Darjeeling, Sikkim. I've been setting this up with Blue Poppy [see Thorntree board for many recommendations] and so far Choki from that company had been more than helpful. If the trip is as good as his pre-tour service I'll be fine.

The aim was to travel Bhutan slowly, with lots of time for ME, instead of the usual 7 - 10 day shlep - which looks more like hard work than a vacation. I need lots of time to sit and think, freedom with the daily schedule and a cool guide. The second aim was to reduce driving time to about 3 hours or less each time I moved [max 4]- and, where possible, not have consecutive travelling days.

I started off just thinking Paro, Thimpu and Punakha but Choki slowly seduced me further into the country - despite my lack of enthusiasm for the driving.

Here's the itinerary:
Day 1: Drive from Glenburn [Darjeeling area] to Phuntsholing. [6 hours]Blue Poppy trip starts at border. Pick up and overnite at Phuntsholing.
Day 2: Drive Phuntsholing to Thimpu. Overnite Thimpu [6 hours]
Day 3: Thimpu sightseeing. O/N Thimpu
Day 4: Thimpu to Punakha [2 hours ish]O/N Punakha
Day 5: Sighteeing Punakha/Wangdi. O/N Punakha
Day 6: Punakha to Trongsa [3-4 hours]O/N Trongsa
Day 7: Trongsa sighteeing. Trongsa to Bumthang [2 hours] O/N Bumthang
Day 8: O/N Bumthang. Bumthang sighteeing.
Day 9: O/N Bumthang. Tang valley sighteeing.
Day 10: Bumthang to Gangtey [3-4 hours]
O/N Gangtey.
Day 11: Gangtey sighteeing or chill. O/N Gangtey.
Day 12: Gangtey to Wangdi/Punakha. [2 hours]O/N Punakha
Day 13: Punakha to Thimpu. [2 hours] More Thimpu sighteeing. O/N Thimpu.
Day 14: Thimpu to Paro: sighteeing. O/N Paro
Day 15: Paro sighteeing. O/N Paro
Day 16: Paro sighteeing. O/N Paro
Day 17: Paro sighteeing. O/N Paro.
Day 18 Fly to Kathmandu.

As you see, the trip shrank slightly to accomodate flights out.

It's a one man band. Just me, a guide, a driver and a car. Stop when I want, do what I like, stay as long as I like. Provided we stay within the basic template of the trip ['cos of hotel bookings] everything is free and easy.

Well, not so free.. I'm sure you know all about the government daily taxes etc.

I'm sure other people have 'done' Darjeeling, Sikkim, Bhutan AND Nepal in less time. But that's not how I like to travel.

By the way, if you have 21 days, why not think of flying in to Paro and emerging three weeks later at the Eastern border, about 4 hours from Guwahati in Assam. Mucho driving but no retracing footsteps and you'd certainly be able to say you've seen it ALL.

Old Sep 20th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Wow! It sounds like a great trip! And I love the slow travel. I hope you'll post a full report.
Old Sep 20th, 2007, 04:16 PM

I so look forward to your trip report, dogster - sounds like an awesome itinerary.
Old Sep 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much dogster. Slow travel & lingering is our way too which is why we are hoping to push it to 3 weeks. Your trip sounds great. I will be contacting a couple of agencies in the next couple of weeks. I have been reading up & we want to try & get as far into the country as possible. Don't mind a few long driving days as long as we have the "static" time in between. Thanks again dogster you have got me all enthusiastic to really start our planning. Will be looking forward to hearing any more about your plans and a run down when you get back.

HAppy & safe travels

J