Hotels in Singapore by the MTR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Singapore just for one night. I was looking for a decent hotel that was reasonably prices ($100 or less) that is close to the public transportation. Any suggestions? Is it common to take the train into town from the airport? Would it be better just to take a cab? Thank you!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:24 AM

OK...Lots of Singapore questions. I highly recommend the YMCA International House at 1 Orchard Road, Singapore 238824, Telephone 011.65.6336000.Call them directly and make the reservation. It's an extremely popular place.At times whole months are sold out. It's a VERY nice hotel and cost about US$47.00 a night per private room...whether one or two. I've stayed there regularly for years and will be back again next month. I've stayed there at times for almost up to two weeks. Breakfast is included in the price. It's clean, there's a pool on the roof, and the staff is really friendly.The guests are really friendly too. One morning, a few minutes after sitting down for breakfast, a table of women started talking to me and asked me to join them for breakfast.Since I first started staying there in the 90s, the rooms, bathrooms, and lobby have been renovated...the lobby most recently. You will have your own private room and bathroom. I like the rooms on the 8th floor...which is the top floor. Internet services are very cheap as is laundry service. This is NOT a hostel situation, but a real hotel.I don't do hostels. It's right next to the Dhoby Gaut MRT stop which is totally central...one stop in one direction from the Raffles Hotel/Chjimes shopping complex/ and Raffles City Shopping mall where there's a great supermarket(Jason's) in the basement. And then in the other direction it's two stops from the heart of Orchard Road. So although it's located on Orchard Road, it's not in the busy part, but in the quiet part. Now if you want a 4-star hotel...then directly across the street is the Rendevous Hotel which I recommended to my best friend in 2002 and she loves the place and location.She stayed at the Rendevous and I at the YMCA on that trip. She's stayed in a lot of different areas in Singapore, but said she'd always return to this area. Hope this has helped. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:29 AM

Oh, as for cabs from the airport...it's not very expensive...no more than about US$20.00 depending on the time of the day or night.And it's VERY easy to get one.They are everywhere. There are approx 15,000 cabs, I've been told, in Singapore which is only about 257 square miles big...half the size of Los Angeles County. From the time the plane lands in Singapore, I usually can have my luggage, get a cab, and be at the YMCA all within about an hours time. I haven't tried the subway system from the airport as flights land in Singapore VERY late at night. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:55 AM

There are many hotels in SIngapore in your price range that are close to an MRT stop. I'd suggest that you go to www.asiahotels.com and browse hotels in your price range. Make note of the ones that appeal to you and get back to us for our reviews of those places.

Personally, I take a cab from the airport because I'm arriving at midnight after 20+ hours in transit from home and with lots of luggage. It you are not a zombie when you arrive (like I am) and you don't have lots of luggage, you could certainly take the MRT. As Guenmai notes, cabs are inezpensive in SIngapore and there is a fast and well organized taxi-queue at the airport.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice! I am going to look into the YMCA.
The other hotel that I was thinking about is the Carlton, close to the Raffles hotel. Any comments on that one? I really appreciate it!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 09:40 AM

I don't know about the Carlton. For one night I see no reason to pay unnecessary money,though.That's why I've suggested the Y. Happy Travels!