Help with Hotel in Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am going to be in Singapore in the 1st week of Nov for about 3 nights. If anybody can help me with budget hotels (recomendations), with a good location, preferably with a MRTS or a bus station nearby. I am looking at a triple accomodation (budget about S$ 50). Also what to do to economise (bus / MRTS passes, entry ticket deals, best electronic shopping - Mustafa ?) etc, while I am there. Cicerone - I guess u r one the most informative one here - some adv... thanks
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 01:28 AM

We have stayed at the City Bay View Hotel on Bencoolan st on both visits.
OK its not on Orchard road but its just a few mins walk. We were there in January and the place had been totally refurbished, its a good inexpensive friendly hotel, next time I go I will return. Highly recommended

Muck
Old Sep 6th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Hi

Well, if you want a hostel you should check up The InnCrowd (www.the-inncrowd.com). The page has quite a lot of information on what to see, do, eat etc in Singapore.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
http://gardkarlsen.com
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM

Definitely check into the YMCA International House Hotel at 1 Orchard Road...Singapore 238824...Tel...3366000..www.ymca.org.sg.The price is S$75.00 Singapore dollars which is US$44.64. I just got back from Bangkok/Singapore a few days ago and I go to both places often, but have been to Singapore more and have stayed at the YMCA International House Hotel at least 6 times, I think. Get a room on the 8th floor...they have safes and fridges. I love the place. It's very real and homey and it's next to the Dhoby Gaut MRT station. Book SOON. Everyday in the whole month of July was booked solid. I was there just last month in August.The room I had is a standard double...two twin beds and bathroom with shower and breakfast included. I'm sure they have rooms for three people. The hotel is super clean, centrally located on a quiet...tree-lined part of Orchard Road. You can walk down the main part of Orchard Road or go in the other direction to the Raffles Hotel and Raffles Shopping Mall, Chjmes Shopping Center and things over there.Singapore is a great place. Too bad you don't have more days...like five full days. As for the MRT pass it's about S$15.00 Singapore dollars and what ever portion you don't use of it you get it refunded before you leave Singapore...either at an MRT station or at an MRT station office at the airport....or you can hold on to it...like I do...because it's valid for five years if you plan to return. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 05:39 PM

Try the 'Inn at Temple Street' or one of the many 'Fragrance Hotels', or 'Hotel 81's' they are around the SGD 40-50 price range.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Hotel 81 has a pretty, erm, dodgy reputation... it gets alot of patronage from Singaporeans who need a room for one purpose.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:27 AM

yah, bcos most of the Hotel 81 hotels are situated in or around the red light district. However, if you are not with any kids, that could be quite a colourful place to stay in too. There is plenty of good and cheap food around that area. Also, I believe they have a new hotel that is in the Chinatown area. Do a check on their website. Another website which I would recommend is www.asiatravel.com. They often have good deals for quality hotels.

Not sure you are referring to computer electronics or consumer electronics. But for computer electronics, try Sim Lim Tower which is around 10 minutes walk from the Bugis MRT station. Check out at this website www.hardwarezone.com for pricelists for the respective pc stores in there.

Food is relatively cheap in sg where you can get almost any cuisines in the world. Hawker centres and food courts where is almost everywhere is the best budget option.

If you are visiting places of interests like Zoo, Night Safari (which i strongly recommend) and sentosa, food and drinks are pricey. I understand from a friend that a coke from the vending machine would cost around S$1.70 where the normal price should be just S$.0.50 at supermarkets. So if you wanna save, probably you could bring your own food or drinks.

Do let me know if you need further help.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a ton guys for helping out, will keep all of this in mind.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi fOsh. Thanks again for all the adv. Looks like I will not need a hotel after all (one of my very good friends has recently moved to Singapore - so will stay with him). The $15 pass - is that valid for a day or for my entire stay (that has also gone up from 3 days to 6 days) ? Now that I have more days, what else can I do - Zoo, Jurong Bird Park, Night Safari, Sentosa etc is already on the itinerary. I might go to KL for a night to visit my office. Do the buses go through The Sultan Abu Bakar Complexs, Tanjung Kupang ? Because I will need a visa (Malaysian)on arrival and this is the only place where I can get it, if travelling by road to KL. Thanks again for all the comments everyone.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:43 AM

The $15 MRT/Bus stored-value card is valid for up to 5 years, and you can top up the value whenever it runs low. It is not a one-price unlimited ride over x number of days kind of pass. However, I believe there are tourist passes that work that way available too, though I can't remember for sure.

The Sultan Abu Bakar Complex is the Malaysian Immigration checkpoint at the 2nd link (linking Spore and Malaysia). Some busses pass through this place, while others, going through the Causeway, will pass through the Johor Baru (JB) checkpoint instead. Either way, it is not possible to travel from Spore to Msia without passing through an immigration checkpoint where you could get your visa. Unless of course your nationality status needs PRIOR visa approval (from say the Embassy).