Notices

too cold in december/january?

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
too cold in december/january?

I am considering going to Shanghai and Beijing for 2 weeks from late December to early January, but have read that it is quite cold. Any thoughts on going to China in the winter? Is it too miserable to be worth it? Or will I still enjoy it if I am bundled up? With my schedule it will be hard for me to find another 2 weeks to go for some time, so I was really hoping to be able to go this year.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:23 PM

am not too expert on shanghai, but as far as Beijing is concerned - yes, it will be very cold. There can be snow, sometimes there is a harsh Siberian wind, and temperatures can dip to below zero.
Having said all that, it's also one of my favourite times of year to go to Beijing. Barring too much pollution, if it's a clear sky, then it's crystal blue. Indoors should have good central heating. I like nothing better than coming in from the dry cold to a warm restauarant and eating a big bowl of dumplings!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 04:30 AM

We currently have a trip planned for the same time this year to Beijing and Shanghai. I am not sure where you are from but Beijing is on the same latitude as Washington D.C., so yes it can get cold but I doubt that it will be frigid and if you are used to winters in the NE U.S. then it shouldn't be too bad...
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 05:22 AM

I went over Christmas and while Beijing was dold I survived. Just add another layer and take some long underwear and you'll be fine. It's like being in NY or Chicago. Other places are warmer. Personally I find it a lot better than being there in summer which is truly unbearable.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 06:51 AM

The answer to the question really lies with the original poster. Are you the type of person that does not mind being out in the cold bundled up? if not then the trip might be ok. If you are like me- I do not want to vacation where I have to bundle up, we do not like the cold so the answer for us would be a resounding no. No one can answer that for you- you have to decide for yourself!